Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

View Poll Results: Would you consider having surveillance camera at home?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 42.86%
  • No

11 31.43%
  • Maybe

9 25.71%
  • Done

0 0%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Would you consider having surveillance camera at home?

slamdunk is offline Registered User

Little Monster, there are many helpers who are BETTER educated than their employers here with many university graduates. They work in HK because of the economical situation in their own country where professionals are paid less than what we pay our helpers here.

Perhaps its overgeneralising about how eating with bare hands is 'for us, GROSS' . The whole of the western DEVELOPED world eats stuff like pizza and KFC even canapes with their hands/fingers - is this also gross?

There are lots of stories about witchcraft, bad behaviour, swindlings and abuse by DH but no one reports all the contribution they make in HK community and family life - because that doesn't make juicy reading...

southside852 is offline Registered User

the first few posts seem like very extreme cases and we love our helper. i trust her to take care of my son. i agree with what carang has said....obviously, nothing is like mommy/daddy care, but if you cannot trust a helper who is living with you, then you should not have a helper at all. we feel like being able to afford a helper here (we've never had one) is a luxury as it allows us to spend more quality time with our son and with eachother. while i would never condone sharing of the same spoon as our son and drinks, she has made our lives so much easier.

To fault those who have them and who treat them like another member of the family, is ludicrious in ignorant.

geomum is offline Registered User

In my opinion it would best that everyone sticks to answering the original query or expressing their own experiences/ opinions instead of starting a heated discussion or condemning what others have written. It just leads to unpleasantness.

HK2008 is offline Registered User

My hubby and I used to laugh at the idea of having a camera to 'monitor' the helper. We always quote some ancient Chinese master once said(to the effect): if you don't trust someone, don't employ them; if you have employed someone, trust them(用人不疑, 疑人不用). However, after being more experienced in the helper domain, now we keep an open mind.

Of course as someone already noted here, if a helper is bad, she can always do something bad not in front of the camera. So a good helper does not fear of having a camera installed. Like mine who said, Mam I want you to have a camera, because if some unfortunate accident happened, I want you to know how exactly it happened. It'll save me explaining to you in detail and you may not believe what I said...

I think it also makes a difference whether some employer or other family member is around the house all the time. If I go back to work, I honestly would feel more comforting to be able to see how they spend the day, especially wanting to know that everything is ok. Believe me I have high level of trust with my helper(she is better and more patient than me around my children). However, I'd like to gain even more confidence with the help of a camera.

carang is offline Registered User

about eating with the hands...yes, eating something like spaghetti bolognese would be gross... but as mentioned before pizza, chicken, sushi (sorry, i cannot manage that with chopsticks) etc is ok...

but again, back to the original question....

Neha is offline Banned

also indian chappattis cannot eat with fork and knife

elaine is offline Registered User

i love eating with hands so it is not an issue in my household. it is the other way around. my helper using the utensils and me - using my hands.

anyway, back to the original question. we thought long and hard about it and in the end, decided not too. we are counting our lucky stars we hired a great helper.

LeahH is offline Registered User

original question: we wouldn't have a camera from a 'surveillance' perspective, it might be nice to have a 'skype' set up so you can see/chat with your toddler from work on occasion though!

Our helper is an extension of my husband and I when we are not there - with regard to everything - discipline, what does and does not happen etc. Anything we do, I'm fine with them doing (they are as clean as we are!) for consistency and because I trust them and respect their judgement (even if sometimes we disagree on some aspects of child rearing from a cultural standpoint - a session of controlled crying nearly broke my helpers heart!).

That also extends to deciding when my toddler leaves somewhere - I don't want to raise a little 'HK Tyrant' that orders their helper/nanny around and makes demands that are instantly gratified..

to Slamdunk's other point re the education levels of DH's, I totally agree - my helpers are massively overqualified (to clean my house and nanny) - something I'm incredibly grateful for.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast