Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

View Poll Results: Would you consider having surveillance camera at home?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 42.86%
  • No

11 31.43%
  • Maybe

9 25.71%
  • Done

0 0%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Would you consider having surveillance camera at home?

Little Monster is offline Registered User
    totally agree with aussiegal.

Feeding real and cooked food with fingers involves with sucking feeder's fingers. Imagine all the germs on one's hands especially in the nails. Personally I can never accept that and I myself never never do that to my or others' children. As mentioned by aussiegal, the DH fed the kid in a playground, so obviously her hands weren't washed. I don't know what to say apart from "gross".

Believe me, we all know the pleasure of eating with fingers, especially eating chicken wings, mangoes, durians, tacos, cookies and pizza of course. but we are talking about a different case. so please don't get us wrong.

Having cameras at home, I can at least minimize the possibility of doing that by the DH.

Suv
    Suv is offline Registered User
    Ah, Aussiegal... little monster proves my point. I am not confusing the issue.

"Feeding real and cooked food with fingers involves with sucking feeder's fingers. Imagine all the germs on one's hands especially in the nails. Personally I can never accept that and I myself never never do that to my or others' children." I am offended. A lot. Because we (from developing world and yes, we are educated too!) eat our every day food, not pizza, not cookies but cooked food like rice, lentils, vegetables etc with our hands. I feed my child with my fingers too. I love sucking my fingers after a finishing a good meal. It is you guys who are ignorant and disrespectful of other cultures not us (and this covers a lot of countries besides India or Indonesia most likely) who is weird/gross.

And yes, anyone who does not wash their hands before eating with their hands- it is gross. You wash hands before and you wash hands after. That is the first etiquette of eating with your hands.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    You shouldn`t be offended, Suv. What people find gross is HELPERS using the hands they ate cooked foods(like rice, curry)with to feed the children. THAT is gross because the helper is not the mother. No one was attacking the act of eating food with hands, sucking or not.

I don`t think anyone was ignorant or disrespectful - they are just remarking that they think it`s gross if someone else, other than the parent, feeds the child with the same hands that have just been in the mouth of the feeder. I think so too.

I spent 3 years on the Thai-Burma border trying to eat rice and curry with my hands(ok I gave up after a year). It`s not as easy as it looks:)

Suv
    Suv is offline Registered User
    :) Shenzhenniffer. Thanks for diffusing my explosive mood. I am pretty sure Little Monster is not talking only about helpers putting their hands in child's mouth. Per her comment, she wouldn't even do it herself (clean hands or not). I think Carang covered it best earlier. Different strokes for different folks.

HK2008 is offline Registered User
    I agree with Shenzhennifer. Please don't get offended in any way. I'm pretty sure majority of the members on this forum are educated and/or open-minded enough to embrace and respect and appreciate the fact that there are different cultures in the world. As the OP said, let's not put our focus on cultural differences.

I think many people would agree that what we truly worry about is not the hand feeding itself, it's the hygiene associated with that. I don't think anyone would want their child to be fed with anyone's hands without proper observance of the good hygiene standard, which obviously happens a lot on a playground.

What is the original question again?

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    So Suv, you really think it is ok for your helper to suck her fingers then feed your children? Definitely different strokes for different folks.

Given that we live in such a built up area already (HK) with such quick and easy transfer of sickness and illness why would you want to increase the risk of this happening any more? Am curious to know, did you continue to allow your helper to do this when panic had starting setting in about swine flu?

No need to play the race or culture card by the way. One side of my family is three generations born in India. To me it's not a question of culture but common sense. I think the reality is even if you think your helper feeding your child with their fingers is ok it's just not worth the health risk.

carang is offline Registered User
    ok, swine flu.... as far as i can tell seems to be no more dangerous than other strains of the flu. except that there is no vaccine for it...

as for the rest of the concern regarding it, there is something i don't understand.

why do people need to be "extra" vigilant? why do they have to remind people to wash their hands?why are places now sure to clean every 2-4 hours? why is it such a big deal that they are disinfecting places?

shouldn't they/we be doing that ALL the time????

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Same old same old, people know they should wash their hands after using the loo yet many (MANY) don't. Some people are just stupid and need to be told. Why do we need little green men to tell us when to cross the road? Some people need all the instructions they can get and still they don't 'get it' !

Also, as this thread has clearly demonstrated, different people have different ideas on what is hygienic and what isn't. I'm all for people being 'extra vigilant' if it means they wash their hands after eating food with their hands and touching doors, lift buttons etc that I will touch

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast