Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

View Poll Results: Would you consider having surveillance camera at home?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 42.86%
  • No

11 31.43%
  • Maybe

9 25.71%
  • Done

0 0%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Would you consider having surveillance camera at home?

carang is offline Registered User
    i read once that something like 97% of people SAY they wash their hands with soap after using the toilet... but only 67% actually do.... YUCK!

i guess it ranks up there with "don't swim in the sea if you are cut or are bleeding... don't swim if there is a danger: shark spotted flag hoisted..."

well..... DUH!!!!!!!!!!!

Hunter is offline Registered User
    Hahaha......the current discussion seems to be way off from the original subject. but anyways, good to learn the different views on the subject.

Some mommies raised the matter of trust in their DHs and of privacy when cameras are installed. Even if there is a huge amount of trust, I think a good monitor system is necessary to supervise the quality of their work. Like if you work in a high fashion store, mystery shoppers will come and check on your service from time to time. If you work in an office, your computer is monitored by your IT team so that they know what websites you browse, etc. A lot of all sorts of monitoring system to make sure you are doing the right things.

My point is, why the DHs deserve so much trust and privacy (especially when your priceless property - your baby, is in their hands) when especially at the beginning they are just someone we do not know at all? talking about privacy, man, they are getting paid to work for the employer, the moment they get onduty, they should not have too much of privacy. When we go to work, do we really have our privacy? we do have our privacy when we get off from work, and same for the DHs, they will get their privacy when they are off duty. Before raising another off-topic dispute, I have to make it clear that when I am talking about privacy, I do respect privacy in her own room and in the bathroom.

You can call me chicken, but I can never leave my baby alone with a DH. Just had a chat with my hubby, and he told me that his grandma witnessed her neighbor's DH putting her menstrual discharge into the dish she was making. His grandma was visiting Indonesia when she was young. It is certainly a horrifying experience.

It's just my personal opinion about this subject.

Hunter is offline Registered User
    My friend in Malaysia has installed cameras in his house. He has 3 little ones and his wife is a full time mommy, and he does hire helpers to help his wife.
    Whenever he has a minute at work, he would get online and see what is going on at home. NOt necessarily to check on the helpers, but to see what the kids are doing. With the cameras, he can witness the growth of his kids and he won't miss too much of their cutest of everything. As parents, it is always more fulfilling to see than to be told.
    Technology advancement has made our life much easier, so why don't we make the best use out of it?

cheerfulmama is offline Registered User
    completely agree with Hunter.

I am considering to put up cameras as I am going back to work next month. Any suggestions where I can get these cameras?

Thank you.

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    I think your mindset is completely different if you are installing cameras cos you are missing your children to not trusting your helper to do her job properly. With the former, it's a great idea to use modern technology to get to "spend" more time with your children.

However, my personal view is if you do not trust your helper enough not to install cameras, there is something seriously wrong with the employer employee relationship that needs to be worked out, and installing a camera would not do that. Afterall, if you see something not very serious but you do not like, do you confront your helper on it? We all know how many little things can make it seem like a big thing, in that scenario, I think it may worsen the situation/relationship.

I guess many will say installing cameras will kill 2 birds with 1 stone, you can to see your children as well as see what the helper is up to. The result is the same, but if you are doing so cos you do not trust your helper but do not want to fire her, the thing to do would be try to sort things out with her and not rely on the threat of a camera.

andreay.... couldn't have said it better myself.

Suv
    Suv is offline Registered User
    Aussiegal, No, I don't think its ok for the helper to suck on her finger and then put it in my child's mouth. I think you are confusing 2 issues- of helpers' taking short cuts vs their cultural and educational backgrounds. I don't condone any helper taking shortcuts if parents have given them xyz instructions.

But for 2nd issue which is what I am taking about ie Indian food, eating with "bare" hands etc.... anyone who thinks that eating cooked food with hands is gross is ignorant- thats my opinion. I am reacting to Little Monster's comments on how using hands in general are yuck which is what I pointed out to you. LM also mentioned a nationality, ie Indonesian and developing world, being uneducated and them eating with their bare hands all in one para which makes me upset. To me, there is an implication that it is the above that leads to our precious little children being mistreated. Is that true or ok, you think?

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast