Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Breastfeeding an easily distracted baby!!!

katelynBB is offline Registered User

Breastfeeding an easily distracted baby!!!

Hi again....
    My daughter is now 8months old and although I am still breastfeeding, I am torn between weaning or still continuing.
    I want to continue because I love it and its now so convenient and easy. But my daughter gets so distracted and once she's off the breast its hard to get her back on. Sometimes she get distracted after 3 minutes on the 1st breast and I know she hasn't finished her full feed. Having a toddler running around and making noise isn't making feeding easier either.
    I am thinking of weaning her because I am worried that she's not getting enough milk intake.
    Pumping is out of the question as it does not work with me, everytime I use the medela pump it gives my clogged ducts.

Just wondering if others have gone through the same thing and can give me some advice. I really don't want to stop breastfeeding, but on the other hand I am worried about her getting enough milk.
    I have to also note that she's also eating solids too, so I know she's not starving, I just want her to drink more milk!

Thanks!!!
    ~Theresa~

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    My 6 1/2 month old gets really distracted. I just let her feed more often. If she's distracted, that's when she's more likely to bite and now that she has teeth, as SOON as she gets distracted, I give her one or two more chances to eat some more, but if she's more interested in other things, that's it. It does mean that at times, I feed her for only 3-5 minutes every 2 hrs or something, but then she has great days where I only feed her 4-5 times in one day, but much longer each time. I figure, she's not going to let herself starve - so I'll just keep an eye on her diapers and let her feed however works for her. It saves me getting bitten too, so it's good for both of us!!

mumto2 is offline Registered User
    have you tried feeding her while walking around? the new position might distract her enough to stop being distracted if you know what I mean...lol...the other thing like the above poster mentioned, is that she will eat enough to keep her satisfied and won't starve herself.

katelynBB is offline Registered User
    thanks guys...
    I know she won't starve herself...I'm just going to have to relax....
    hmmm.. feeding her while walking around... hahha... she's going to like that.. don't think its going to make her drink, but she will like the walk.
    thanks!!!!
    ~Theresa~

lylee is offline Registered User
    i bottle feed my baby & like your's, she gets distracted very easily. actually with mine, walking around while feeding does work! she likes to look at different things & walking around distracts her from the bottle itself. it's not a good habit, but i'm doing whatever it takes to get her to drink more since she's a small size baby & not gaining enough weight.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    My baby has recently started having problems feeding too. Distracted or what, I don`t know.
    BUT when I walk with him, he latches on quickly and will drink for as long as I`m walking, at least until he gets into such a rhythm that I can finally sit down. I`m not too pleased with it as he`s getting quite heavy and I`m getting quite tired, but I do it for him sometimes if I really want him to eat. I read that it really relaxes them.

audlin is offline Registered User
    My daughter is 6.5 months and I have decided to partially wean for that very reason. I now give her formula first thing in the morning and last thing at night before she goes to bed (150ml each feed) and I then breastfeed on demand during the day which is usuallt mid morning, lunch and mid afternoon.

I have found that she is less distracted with the bottle as she is in a better position to look around and still feed. This way I am happy that she is getting enough milk and the added benefits from breastmilk. It might be worth considering if you are that concerned.

xxx

mocha is offline Registered User
    My boy is 9 months. he also gets distracted very easily. So I bottle feed him at day.however, he is also gets dirstracted but at least i know how much did he take.

At night i let him feed more often. so he now, wake up at least 2 times per night.. i feed him around 5-10mins each time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast