Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

traveling internationally with 16 month old

southside852 is offline Registered User
    we got an extra seat for our son flying from here to hawaii via japan. he was never in a car seat. at that time he was 11 months.

we will fly home this summer from HK to NYC when he is 17 months. having his own seat is key to everyone's happiness. if you can afford, get it. a little extra room will go a long way as he can stand in front of it and play, perhaps lie on you and the extra seat to sleep etc....

carang is offline Registered User
    i took my daughter to canada without a carseat and i had a seat booked for her. it wasn't a problem. she was only 5 weeks old at the time. i also took her to australia. we only booked 3 seats for the 4 of us, but she was able to have a seat to herself as they blocked the 4th seat both ways. she didn't have a carseat.

i think it depends on the airline.

AC should be good. check the entertainment that they have in-flight. see if they have the individual seat moniters. if so, you won't have much trouble. also see if you can book a night flight. MUCH, MUCH MUCH easier!

southside852 is offline Registered User
    we actually found the carseat to be a big pain and just not worth it too if given the choice. we had it for the first leg of our trip from HK to Japan and he was in it for about 40 minutes. We had to leave it in the seat as there was not room to stow it away...it was bulky and took up so much space. when we landed in narita, we checked it through and on the way back. we were so much happier!

Melko23 is offline Registered User
    I travelled twice with my toddler (now 22 months) from HK to Casablanca via Dubai (long long flights!) and all I can say is, if it is affordable, book a seat and take along a car seat, snacks, and dvd player. The first time we travelled was anightmare and then some. Second time, with car seat/dvd etc, much more peaceful and secure. Airlines should give you a child discount when booking.

wasabibunny is offline Registered User
    Thanks for all the responds! I did get an extra seat and bubs slept for 1/2 the flight (about 8 hrs) so it was not too bad. I did however spend about 3 hrs chasing hid down the aisles. Can't wait for the trip back .... :P

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12