Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

traveling internationally with 16 month old

wasabibunny is offline Registered User

traveling internationally with 16 month old

I would like some advice on going on a 16hr flight with my active 16 month old. He is too old for the bassinet but cannot get his own seat. Any suggestions on how to make a long distance direct flight more bearable?

Thanks!!

Lucylou is offline Registered User
    lots of his favourite toys,books a portable DVD player with his favourite DVDs (this worked for us) and snacks and drink. If you are travelling overnight you should find that little one will sleep some of the flight. My daughter wouldn't sit still for a flight we took to the UK last Christmas. I ended up in the galley area with her and if you have a good flight crew they will entertain him for a bit - it brightens their 16hr flight and I think they quite enjoy it!!!
    Good Luck!

Neha is offline Banned
    U can get a seat for him if u want to. We always got the extra seat even when our son was under 2 as it made the sleeping so much easier and the 16 hour flight with a baby sleeping on u can be extremely tiring. If u are traveling with someone than it is ok. I told my husband till my son was atleast 4-5 years old I refused to travel alone on a flight with him.

Take extra clothes. also most airlines will give u a good bags.as ur son is young they will only give u the diaper bad ask them for the bag also. CX has a good mickey bag with crayons stickers etc. Again depend upon which airline u are flying

Best of luck

mumto2 is offline Registered User
    You could be lucky and the flight might not be full and they may give you a seat for him. Otherwise a portable dvd player is GREAT, new books and/or new toys are great because they haven't played with them before. A few snacks. Get up and walk around the plane. Its really not that bad...once its over... ;-) I've always found the flight attendants quite helpful too.

LeahH is offline Registered User
    If you are flying BA, they have a toddler seat that clips into the bassinet area for children up to 18 months (bit like a baby bjorn rocker) so that would be free like the cot for smaller children.

We have not booked an extra seat for our 21 month old for our upcoming long distance trip, but are calling the airline each week to see how full the flight is getting - if it looks like being full, then we will suck the expense up and book a seat for her.

I travelled to NZ with her when she was 14 months without a seat and it was NOT FUN... they did let us squash her into the cot (legs hanging over the end!) but no-one was very comfortable really

Definitely the DVD player as those above have said, that was a life saver. Playing in the galley also - if the flight is not busy, the staff are usually lovely with toddlers (it's in their interest to keep them happy and not annoying other passengers!)

We've also used phenergan and actifed (as prescribed by her Ped) with varying results... e.g. if they are already upset, then don't bother - you get the opposite hyperactive effect!

Good luck

Neha is offline Banned
    CX has also good entertainment for kids. We have a portable DVD but we are not taking it as it will be extra thing to lug around and we out for 3 weeks

carang is offline Registered User
    there is no reason other than your finances that he cannot have his own seat. if you want a seat for him, you can book it. it will cost the same as a child's fare.

wasabibunny is offline Registered User
    Hi everyone! Thanks for the info. I read that if I book a seat for a child he need to be in something similar to a carseat? I am not sure if that is just the policy of AC. I will call the airline to inquire further. I am hoping the baby will sleep 1/2 of the flight. I might be a little ambitious but I think 16 months is tough since they are not really old enough to sit still and my son is usually very energetic and runs around the house all day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast