Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Epidural or Drug Free Delivery?

mumto2 is offline Registered User
    I had two drug free natural delivery births which was exactly what I wanted. However I do agree with other posters that although most people have an "ideal", sometimes there are emergencies in which c-sections have to be performed. When choosing to have a drug-free birth, its a matter of a really strong mind! lol Seriously, its a choice you have to make from deep within and just know that this is not going to last forever though there may be times during labour you think it is! Its a very personal choice however and if that's what you wish to do - then just have that as your first choice, do lots of research on what your second choice would be, understand what will happen if you must have an emergency c-section and that way, hopefully, you will not feel let down if you don't have your first choice birth.

Know too that if you have a drug-free birth, your recovery time (and the baby's) is much quicker.

Best of luck with your choices and your birth.

Matty is offline Registered User
    If you are not sure what you want then the best thing to do is don't decide until you are in labour.
    You can always ask for pain relief if you need it.

I've had 2 drug free births and for me, it was very easy and I wouldn't do it any other way.

I did the Hypnobirthing course before the birth of my first son and the technique was very successful.
    I'm one of those weird people who actually say that they enjoyed giving birth.

mumto2 is offline Registered User
    not weird matty - i enjoyed it too..:) or maybe i'm weird too ;-) and will do it again (hopefully) exactly the same way

mel_g20 is offline Registered User
    Hello, my first was delivered with an epidural, the second without (but not by choice as my second baby came too fast). The recovery time for both myself and the babies was the same. I would recommend an epidural birth, definately less painful. Maybe I am not as strong as some of the others mums, maybe I have a lower pain threshhold - but if I had another baby I would still choose an epidural. You dont have to choose an epidural immediately, just have it as an option in case you find the pain too difficult. You will know when then it is. Also just be sure that your dilation is monitored as you can get to the point where an epidural is not an option, i.e. I was too dilated. When you go into labour to be honest you just get on with it and deal with what comes along in the best way you can. Good luck, try not to worry- the memory of labour fades fast when that new baby is on your arms.

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    i had a drug-free first labour and like some other weirdos really enjoyed giving birth that time :o)
    second time around baby was much bigger and had the cord around his neck. the back pain was excruciating. I was 8cm dilated and the baby wasn't even engaged!! i asked for a single low-dose epidural to gather my strength.
    it was the best decision i ever made. it only lasted around 30-45mins and had worn off completely by the pushing stage.
    If i am lucky enough to have a 3rd baby I will be aiming for 100% drug free but like last time i'll be prepared to flex my plans given the situation at the time.

child birth for most women really isn't that bad and i think what we often forget is that women are designed to have babies! have faith in yourself and you will make the right decision for you at the time.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    sorry to pipe in again, but when I was in labour, I was so surprised that women were designed to have babies. the pain was just terrible. Of course you read all about it, and for me, I really wanted to do it naturally for the baby. But I had little choice - water broke, was bed ridden so I couldn`t help progress my labour, then too much time passed so I was induced and then the pain really started, I was crying for an epidural when I was no where near having the baby, whose head was stuck in the canal and whose heart wasn`t faring well with all the contractions. The doctor did everything she could as she wanted to avoid a c-section but in the end, I had no choice and to be honest, at that point I was like OK!!!!
    So to all the ladies here who have had drug free natural births, even a few times over, I applaud you for being so strong. And I envy you that your birth went at least somewhat according to plan.
    At one point I had an IV in each arm, an epidural from my back, fetal monitoring from my belly, a cathetor from you know where, and oxygen from my nose. It was very humbling.
    But I know for SURE next time, if I can even have a VBAC, I will be booking that epidural in advance!

babymommy2 is offline Registered User
    I agree with other posters that is is okay to not know what you want to do, you have to make a decision beforehand. Each labor can be so different. I was induced with oxytocin for my first and had the epidural. From the start of the induction until birth was about 36 hours.There were no breaks at all between contractions, one on top of the other and I couldn't cope, this is because of the oxytocin. I would highly recomend not haveing an induction unless absolutly medically necessary. I had one because the baby was very small and ther were worries he had IUGR, which turned out to be wrong, he was very healthy, small, 5 lbs 14oz, but still within the normal range. I had the epidural at 7 cm. There were no complications related to the epidural. It was turned down for pushing and I could tell when to push.

For my second I really did not want to have the epidural. It was really important to me to have that sense of acomplishment of ding it myself. My labor was much quicker, about 4.5 hours, I had no oxytocin, I only pushed 15 minutes.The pushing was completely differnt than with the epidural. I had thought that I could feel lots with the epidural, as I could tell when to push, and it was actually a lttle painful, so I thought I really was doing it on my own, but after having no epidural, I realize now how numb I still was. The feeling of pushing with no epidural is amazing, it is so primal, your body takes over completely. It is painful, but much less so than transition. I was able to be in a tub in the hospital, this make the contractions much more bearable, also had a doula. It was a perfect birth! I was so happy after, it was an amazing feeling and accomplishment and I would never do an epidural again!

With a drug free birth, you need to get into a zone and deal with one contraction at a time

miriam228 is offline Registered User
    I have 2 friends who used epi, and now they have ended up with terrible back pain. So, such side affect, do exist........??

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast