Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Epidural or Drug Free Delivery?

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    Never heard of such side effects.... I had no episiotomy (natural tear, which healed very quickly), and beside some back problems, which was more due to my position when Bf, of carrying the baby...
    Would be interesting to know if there is any link between the 2.

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    I think she meant "epi" as in epidural and not episiotomy. In any case, I have also heard that some people do get back pain after epidural, which was the reason I chose not to have epidural. Having suffered back problems from teens, I decided if there were truth to it, it'd just be opening another can of worms. In any case, at least for me, labour pains were bearable and as I told my husband, I found it better than the pain from slipped disc. haha.

Totally agree that if you really feel strongly about going without epidural, your mindset has to be "this would not last forever" and breathe! BTW, I used TENS machine for my 2nd and found it to be really good.

m2cw2mhk is offline Registered User
    That is such a personal decision! I had my first child with the epidura and was planning a drug free birth for my second, but she was breech and I had to have a c-section. The epidural I had with my first was not that great for me. In retrospect, it slowed my labor down, kept me on my back which is not an optimal position for labor and delivery, and may even have kept my girl from turning from her sunnyside up position. It also stopped working on one side and needed to be redone, which was stressful.

I firmly believe all women should be prepared for the possibility of no epidural, as it may not work or there may not be time, so why not practice/study techniques for managing contractions without drugs?

I highly recommend doing some reading about natural birth if you are interested at all - I really enjoyed "Birthing from Within" and the Mongan "Hypnobirthing" books. I also definitely recommend talking to the midwives at Annerley. I was taking the Hypnobirthing class and it even helped me get through my c-section - obviously I had drugs for that but the techniques helped me feel relaxed throughout the surgery and made my daughter's surgical birth a much more joyful experience.

I'm done with my books and done having kids so if you would like to get the books from me I'd be happy to pass them on.

miriam228 is offline Registered User
    AndreaY, thanks for helpingme clarify. Yes, I meant epidural!

I am also considering drug-free delivery, but am sooooooo scared!! I even freak out when I get normal injections, so how am I going to survive this 10, 20 or even 30 hours pain?!?!?

BTW, what's this TENS machine pls??? (Sorry, as I'm just expecting my first one in July, I don't have much knowledge/experience with all this!!)

Tens machine is a small electrical device (runs on batteries) with small gel packs that you stick to your lower back. A bit like the Osim massage machine. It sends out small electrical pulses and when you feel a contraction, you press a button and the pulse gets stronger and it eases your labour pains. You will find info on it in various childbirth books and on the net. I read about it in a book and found out that my lactation consultant Mrs. Chee rented tens machines out. Used it for my 2nd and found it very effective, thought it better than gas which I thought was useless.

miriam228 is offline Registered User
    This machine is available in all hospitals for our use when we have our contractions?? I don't recall my Dr telling me there was such "pain reliever"...... Do u need to pay extra for it or book in advance for this device? Sounds interesting, since it works more than the gas, like you said......

Am not sure whether they have it in hospital, they did not at Canossa where I gave birth. As I said, I rented it from Mrs. Chee. I note from another recent post on TENS machine, someone used it at QM and it's also available from Annerley.

Lucylou is offline Registered User
    I would wait and not make any decisions yet. I had planned for a natural birth and wanted to have no pain relief other than gas and air...but....I developed pre=eclampsia and had to have an epidural (this was in the UK). You really don't know how you feel until you actually go in to labour and sometimes that choice is taken away from you.
    Good Luck with it all - as a previous post said - you soon forget about it all once you have the new baby in your arms!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast