Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A sad story and a HK party... you can help with both

lgc
    lgc is offline Registered User

A sad story and a HK party... you can help with both

Hi everyone,

I am really hoping HK parents can rise to the occasion and come to a GREAT party on 15 May, to help another HK family.

Let me give you a little of the sad story first... Jon Maxwell, a British Assistant Professor at Hong Kong University, suddenly passed away earlier this year aged just 39. He left behind his wife, Marie-Claire, three-year-old son Samuel, one-year-old son Theo and a new baby expected in August. (In a blessing, Jon found out about the new baby the night before he died.) Unfortunately Jon was not granted life insurance due to a pre-existing condition and the family has no means of support at this challenging time in life.

And this is where Hong Kong comes into its own. One of the things I love about Hong Kong is the way people band together to help. So that?s what we are doing (and we hope you can join us).

Together with other friends of the family, I am helping to organise a glamorous fund-raising party on the evening of 15 May 2009 at the Sky Garden, Hotel Panorama in Tsim Sha Tsui. We expect around 300 guests, largely from Hong Kong?s expat community.

The emphasis will be on cocktails, canap?s and conversation (other things that Hong Kongers are very good at!) and monies raised will go straight to the Maxwell family to help them tackle and embrace a different life to the one they had imagined.

We have got the most amazing collection of prizes for the lucky draw and raffles (HK businesses have been incredible about this... kudos!) and now we need to make sure we get people there ready to have a great time and win those prizes! Everything from kids' classes and furniture, all the way through to Virgin Atlantic air tickets and a US$1,000 diamond in the bottom of someone's champagne flute!

So how about putting together a group of all your friends and coming along to support the Maxwells and have a great night out at the same time? RSVP to [email protected]

Many thanks,

LGC

MidlevelsMama is offline Registered User
    Hi LGC

I heard about this from a friend of mine - such a tragic story and its amazing that you guys are pulling together such a great event.

I'm definitely coming - will email you now!

Monty is offline Registered User
    Hi LGC,

Thank you for sharing this sad story. I'll PM you for more details about the fundraising evening. It really is a great cause.

I just wanted to clarify, this is not the Marie-Claire that started the Hong Kong pram pushers guide is it?

llb
    llb is offline Registered User
    Yes, this is the Marie Claire that started the Pram Pushers guide to Hong Kong. Unfortunately due to the tragedy she's had to move back to Sweden with her two boys and another expected in August.

carang is offline Registered User
    can you pass on information like cost? i would love to come and support, but sadly price of tickets does affect my decision/ability to attend.

megan2008 is offline Registered User
    Is there anyway to donate without actually attending?

dimsum mum is offline Registered User
    yes you can donate to a hsbc account even if you are not attending. (that's what we are doing). contact the organisers.

lgc
    lgc is offline Registered User
    Hi All,

Any Qs, please email [email protected]. The party will be great and your $400 ticket gets you a welcome drink, canapes and entry - plus a very generous goody bag.

There are also so many prizes to win in lucky draw and buy via auction that it's almost silly!

Virtual tickets available if you cannot make it - plus of course you are welcome to donate whatever you wish via cheque or an HSBC account. Email for details.

Many thanks all and really hope to see you there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast