Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Australian Baby Bonus

sherwes is offline Registered User

Australian Baby Bonus

Have any Australian mums managed to claim the Australian government baby bonus for a baby born in HK? According to the Centrelink website it is possible to claim it so long as you are "temporarily" out of Australia and you haven't "permanently" moved overseas. Has anyone tested these rules? Many thanks.

spockey is offline Registered User
    You have to prove at least 6 months residency (in a year) in Oz to get it.

Monty is offline Registered User
    Gee that's too bad. Would love to have the extra help of the 'baby bonus'!

Thanks Spockey. Sounds like you have explored this already. Do you know, does the 6 month rule apply regardless of whether you have submitted an Aust tax return? Just trying to get some of my Aussie tax back!!!

spockey is offline Registered User
    I am not sure about that. Ours was born in Oz. So we didn't have an issues. Didn't ask about tax returns. I don't recall filing one when we applied.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    IF you are an Australian resident and eligible for the baby bonus, then you are also an Australian resident and need to pay Australian tax for that financial year. Not a good trade!! I'd rather NOT have it and not have to pay the tax, personally!!

There's actually a difference between residency (i.e where you happen to live at any given time) and tax residency. I am a HK tax resident. I am no longer an Australian tax resident however I do submit an Australian tax return as I have Australian sourced income. Of course, as a HK tax resident, I have to submit a tax return for HK tax. It's pretty common for people with diverse sources of income to need to submit returns in different countries even if they have one "true" tax residence. It's a fine technical line and there are a number of complex tests to determine tax residency and domicle. In any case, I don't think that baby bonus relies upon tax residency but rather physical residency.

I am going to speak to Centrelink but I suspect that, as Spokey says, they will require me to have lived in Aust for at least 6 months of the year, regardless of tax residency.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Sherwes, if you have any luck getting more info could you pls post it. I would be interested to know if you can get it if you plan on spending 6 or the following 12 months in Oz after the birth.

A friend of a friend claimed the bonus while in HK. I don't know the details unfortunately.

The amount of taxes we've paid while there, and still pay, I hope we can get it but given the attitude the current gov has to high income earners it's pretty doubtful!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast