Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Baby has grown small for date and low amniotic fluid

Oct09Mom is offline Registered User

Baby has grown small for date and low amniotic fluid

Hi all,

I went for my scan yesterday and doc told that baby's growth is showing for 17 weeks 2 days where as I am 18 weeks 6 days yesterday. At this stage its not that normal to have such big discrepancy in date and size..

Also the amniotic fluid is less.

Does anyone know of such situation and advice?

I have been advised rest and extra fluids...

mumto2 is offline Registered User
    The advice you have been given is best really, drinking as much water as possible, no smoking, eating well and lots of rest...I hope your next scan leaves you feeling more positive.

carang is offline Registered User
    both of my children measured minimum 2 week smaller than they actually were. at one point the dr also mentioned slightly low fluid, but by the next visit 2 weeks later (i always went every 2 weeks for various complications that i had) all seemed to be well.

when my first was born, he only weighed 2.51 kg. he was 3.5 weeks early.

my second weighed 2.47kg. she was 4.5 weeks early.

if your doctor advised you to rest, then do it. let me tell you, you will be wishing for time to rest once the little on arrives! get hubby to buy you some good magazines, and spend a few hours every afternoon reading or sleeping.

did your doctor sound overly concerned?

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I just saw this case on one of Discovery`s Home and Health baby shows yesterday. The woman was carrying twins, one of them was small and she had low fluid - it was at about 24 weeks I think. The doctor said rest and told her to quit her job which was pretty physical. The reasoning the doctor gave was that she used too much of her body`s blood during the day doing her work etc, and not enough was going to the babies. The woman ended up delivering 6 weeks early because they still weren`t growing well and there was little fluid but she delivered 2 tiny but strong baby girls.
    If you can, I would go on near bedrest for a couple weeks and then go check it out again. I don`t think you can ever be too careful.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    drink as much water as possible and sleep.... i had low amniotic fluid when i delivered and the birth was difficult and as a result she ended up in ICU. Doctor's say it has nothing to dow it low amniotic fluid, but hey if they can't tell me the reason for the problem than anything that wasn't' "normal" might have led to it. So, the others have said, you can never be too careful. keep track of the level of amniotic fluid and don't rule out the option of having a c-section to protect the baby.

Oct09Mom is offline Registered User
    Thanks for all your replies.

@carang doc was not overly concerned but yes to a great extent.He said it might be temporary.Actually he has mostly found me with some issues..earlier..spotting now this one....

I hope and pray things fall in place.

Also, I would like to know....how much should be at least intake? I am taking almost 10 ltrs. a day and continuing with rest...waiting for some improvement?

carey is offline Registered User
    Follow the doctor's advice would be my best recommendation.

My baby was measured two weeks bigger for about two months due to my Gestational Diabetes condition. I follow quite strictly what the doctor said-- test my blood sugar level and take walks after main meals and also the dietitian's meal plan.

When I went for my 36 weeks check up, he was right on the estimated size. I know estimation can be off but it makes me feel so much better.

Good luck.

carang is offline Registered User
    you are drinking 10 litres per day????? seriously???? i think that is a little beyond overkill....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast