Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Glenn Doman's Flash Card method

thanka2 is offline Registered User

I've considered doing this too but my boy is way too active for it. For all the promotion videos I've seen about this method, the child is always like paying attention and sitting still--I promise that will not happen with my boy so he'll just have to learn another way.

merryma is offline Registered User

Hi Thanka2, I guess it's gonna be the same with my boy too... He is 13months plus now and kin of active, walks non-stop and touching things around him... though I haven't "officially" started the program, I have tried flashing some other smaller flashcards I have bought before, he could only pay attention for the first card, then moved on wanting to touch my cards or coming forward to me...hahaha.
    So, I am also now collecting some views on how to teach this to an active little 1 year plus.
    As mine is still on the stage of kin of enjoying the pee-ka-boo game, I read from a parent suggesting to post the words on the wall with a blank paper cover each word, let the boy reveals the word and parent reads it, then quickly move on to another. To make it easier to change the words each time, I have thought of pasting several plastic clear folders on the wall, so I can change the words by inserting new cards.

so, what other program you are working on for your active boy now?

yuukalim0404 is offline Registered User

Merryma, I too recently became aware of the Doman right brain education and trying to start on my girl who is coming to 9mths.
    I also was confused and overwhelmed by all the different methods and way of teaching and do a few weeks of research literally!! on the net.
    Here's what I tried and finally decided on. First I tried my own DIY flashcards with hard cardboard and red ink as per Doman...but I could not flash those quick enough (1s per card) and so baby lost interest after 2-3 cards. Then I tried using Powerpoint flash only using red words, this too did not really interest her (she was more interested in the keyboard and mouse!)
    Next, I tried words+ pic- that held her interest for like 3-4 words....the trick is to flash quickly and have interesting pics especially if those have any sounds, my girl especially love the animals slides since those make real noise, she would sit through the whole thing and laugh as well!!
    I know Doman said no pics, but according to Dr Tilzer ( Your baby Can Read) multi sensory method works as well. (Google your baby can read)
    The bottomline is - whatever you use, it has GOT to be something your baby AND you enjoy. Plus we do not test ( or try not to), because this is done like a game and yes- baby will learn and remember, to stop BEFORE you baby wants to stop to make it interesting.

Right now, I am using PP words+ pics with sound and also letting her watch your baby can read (just started for 2weeks but not on a strict schedule)....Actually as this will be ongoing activity for the next several months, I wonder if there are anymore mums doing these? will really love to get together to exchange and share tips/problems faced etc. Cheers!!

Echo77 is offline Registered User

Hi merrymama!

I have a daughter who has been learning this method since she was 4 months old and she is now 11 months and she really enjoys it. I send her to KinderU in TKO for three times a week (twice for Mandarin and once for English) then I do it at home with her too but not as often and she is doing great in both languages. The teachers at KinderU are very professional and they love babies and I've learnt a lot from watching their tricks to get the babies attention using sounds, warm ups and games.

If you're interested in the materials you can buy Mandarin and English kits from KinderU in CB or TKO and they sell native speaker CD to also play if you want. The kits come in three levels which should take about a year and half to go through. They also sell all of Glen Doman's books.

I personally like taking the classes because they provide pictures, music, games and toys that keeps the babies attention while stimulating their learning too.

yuukalim0404 is offline Registered User

Hi Echo,
    I also live in TKO and trying to find some mums around here with baby my daughter's age (she is coming 9mths) to let her meet more friends.
    I wonder if you are working or may be interested to get together for chat or coffee sometime in TKO?

I am also very keen on right brain education and hoping to find some mums to share on this as well.
    Please PM if interested, cheers!

merryma is offline Registered User

Hi moms,
    I can't do the program with my laptop infront of my boy too, he will touch the mouse and disturb the keyboards. So now, I have just started to do it yesterday (officially), pluging my laptop to the TV, and he sit far from able to reach it. I do the English with TV (PC), and have just created some Chinese cards (without pictures) to do with the cards flashing methods. Will see how he response to the methods, and I guess at different developmental stage moms need to be flexible with the methods too. until he past the stage of love to touch everything and move around, I will probably do with my laptop again (a lot less hassle...)

It's a great ideas to get together to share more ideas and views, love to join you ladies...
    I live in Taikoo area, am in my 4th months for 2nd baby, and often feel too tired to travel far, so if you ladies come by to the Island, would love to catch a coffee with you. Please stay in touch with PM.

Once again, thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    Merryma

RSK
    RSK is offline Registered User

Where can we buy GD flashcards?

crystal88 is offline Registered User

Hi Merryma,

At 13 months they are so active and won't sit still even for 5 cards, i did it when my baby was smaller, though the disadvantage, you don't know if he knows what am i doing.

And i also went to KinderU CWB for 2 trial classes with baby so i got the idea how to do it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast