Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Glenn Doman's Flash Card method

merryma is offline Registered User

Glenn Doman's Flash Card method

Any parents here with their 1 year old doing Glenn Doman's Flash Card method? Would love to hear your experience and views, please.

My boy is 13months now, and I am just started to want to do this with him.

Cheers,

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Hi Merryma! Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with the flash card method yet, though I am starting to think about using it after watching a TV show about it. Just wondering if you know where I can buy flashcards or books to read about the method. Thanks!

crystal88 is offline Registered User

I'm a fan of glenn doman, i got the read and math kit. I used dots at 6 months or less, read kit after. My boy at 2 yrs old loves to read, though i think any method or flash card will do. it's just that the domann cards are convenient and big letters.

If you can get hold of it, buy. Sometimes there are 2nd hand at the trading post.

I got the read kit in glenn doman group in singapore for HK$500.

Hi Thanks for the replies.

FutureHKmom, I am creating the flashcards myself, thought it will be more personalized (with words more to the HK context) and save the $.
    I print each word with huge font on A4-cardpaper. I can share my own soft copy with you if you want.

I am still waiting for the book "How to teach your baby to read" at the local library, but will see if I could buy one from bookstore here. So far, I learn about the method reading online articles.
    You may want to take a look at this Teach your baby to Read: Glenn Doman?s Method | Child and Me
    You can even download some ready made material from the site.

Hi Crystal88, may I ask if you follow the number of cards required each day for your baby? (E.g., 3 times a day, starting with 5 cards and increased to 25 after 5 days and discharge 5 cards while also add 5 new cards from day 6th onward), or how do you do it?
    Baby sometimes may not be as cooperative, any things that once made you wanted to give up?

Besides Glenn Doman, is there any other things you do to help your baby to enjoy learning/ reading?

My boy is already 13months now. I guess like the typical 1 year old, he isn't able to sit on the same spot watching me flashing the cards for more than a minute.

Would love to hear more please.

Yes, i follow exactly what doman suggested, but i did that around 8 months when babies still "listen" to you. I haven't given up, i still read to him those cards now, but not single words, the kit comes with short sentences. I sometimes find my boy lying down or sitting with books on hand. He loves reading. Read to your kid often. I have lots of books at home.

I have a 2 months old baby now and i'm starting him with math kit.

Last edited by crystal88; 05-19-2009 at 01:19 PM.

Hi crystal88, glad to hear from you again.

I was wondering if we need to make picture cards for the words? I mean a word card followed by a picture for that word then another new word and so on.
    When I see some of the videos demonstrating the method, there weren't picture cards, but only the word cards. Then when I look at some of the ready-for-use homemade material by some parents on the internet, those material do include the picture cards... I am a bit confuse what exaxtly the method should be. How do you do it??

Besides English, do you also teach your baby another language through the GD method?

Wauh, so you have a little one too Congratulation!
    BTW, are you a fulltime stay home mom?

Cheers,

hi merryma,

Mine doesn't have picture bec my goal is to let him learn to read.

Only english from GD.

Yes, i got a baby now, thanks. Full time mom but i plan to work part time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by crystal88 View Post
    hi merryma,

Mine doesn't have picture bec my goal is to let him learn to read.

Only english from GD.
    Hi Crystal88,
    is that mean you only want your baby to recognise the words even if he doesn't understand the meaning of the words?
    Actually I think that should be the way too, cause I can always name the real things whenever I come across one and baby should be able to recall that sound like a word he has heard of from the flashcards activity.

I am expecting one more in November....
    Currently I am off from my fulltime work until January next year, so I treasure every single minute with my boy and just enjoy so much seeing him learning and developing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast