Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mealtimes for 16 month Yr Old

southside852 is offline Registered User

Mealtimes for 16 month Yr Old

I am looking for advice/help on feeding my son.

Issue #1: He no longer sits in his highchair. We start in it for all meals, but after 10 minutes tops, he is squirming to get out. We've put his favorite toys on his tray, music etc..., but no luck. He's just tired of it. So we then resort to feeding him while playing. Which is a total nightmare for in between his jumps, turns and playing with his toy garage, we have to get a bite or two in. My son is an active boy with lots of energy, but just wondering if it's normal for this age to reject the highchair.

Issue #2: I feel like he's eating less at scheduled mealtimes - bfast, lunch and dinner. bfast he has his bottle of milk, a few bites of oatmeal or cheerios cereal and then that's it. Breakfast then turns into this 1 hour affair of feeding him fruit. Because he doesn't eat at much at mealtimes, I find myself making sure he eats a hearty snack in between as he needs the carbs and calories to take him through the day and night.

Anyone else experienced this or have any advice on making mealtimes less chaotic? He used to eat so much more, but in the last couple of months, it seems less even though his weight is absolutely fine....I assume he's just burning more calories as a walker.....

carang is offline Registered User
    1)perhaps you are feeding him too much? if he's not showing interest, then leave it. don't fight it. if all he can handle is 10 minutes, then let him go.

2)are you allowing him to feed himself? try giving him some finger foods so that he can take part in the process.

3)cut out snacks, if you want him to eat more at meals.

if you do offer snacks, then place a bowl of finger fruit within reach. then he can help himself when he is hungry.

a young child will not starve himself. when he's hungry, he'll eat. if you are constantly trying to feed him, he'll rebel. so long as his weight is ok, then you are needlessly worrying.

plumtree is offline Registered User
    I have a 17 month old boy and am facing almost exactly the same issues-he's very active and finds it hard to sit in the high chair for long. He's also been losing a little weight, but he started off quite chubby anyway, so I figure he has some to spare.

Some days are better, some are worse, but in general, we've noticed that if he likes the meal, he stays put longer, so I've just had to get more creative in what I cook. For example, of late, he's liked toasted crumpets for breakfast, so that's what he's been getting!

Also, as Cara says, putting some Cheerios or finger foods on the tray table helps keep his attention up.

I've also become good at being a clown- balancing a cup on my head keeps him amused for oh- about 10 seconds longer...

So, no answers, but you're not alone and I'd be interested in hearing what others have to say!

southside852 is offline Registered User
    like plumtree, i find myself dancing in front of him, singing to his favorite songs etc...the things we do for our children!

thanks carang for your ideas....we normally do a little of both during snack - he feeds himself and we also feed, but maybe i will just do all self-feed. thanks!

mumto2 is offline Registered User
    we do a complete self-feed for our youngest, she sits on a chair on her table (child-size) and is given her plate of food and her water and I sit near to her to assist if she wants help but otherwise just let her go - she makes an awful mess but you just have to let that go...lol...she eats all of her dinner every night - its awesome! Having said that, around this age, they do eat less I find, so maybe lessen the food on the plate so it doesn't seem overwhelming, you can always get something more for them. Good luck!

plumtree is offline Registered User
    Maybe I'm making the most awful generalisation here, but I find that girls are better at sitting quietly and eating. Or at least that's what I observe during snack time in playgroup. I think it's true that boys are generally more active.

Question (sorry to hijack this thread): at what age does it start getting better??

carang is offline Registered User
    i sometimes still have a hard time getting my 4 yr old to sit still at the table.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    My friends back in Thailand never had a high chair (or any other baby stuff) for their 2 rambunctious boys. When they got to the running around stage, Mom basically had to wait for them to fly by to shove a spoonful of rice in their mouth. It looked pretty hectic, and one ate better than the other, but according to Mom, it was working out all right. As well, when they were really hungry, they ate more at one time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast