Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

pregnancy blues

mumsy is offline Registered User

pregnancy blues

Just wondering if it's just me or anyone else not enjoying the pregnancy part. This is my second pregnancy and my first went pretty smoothly apart from the nausea I experienced at the start.

This time round, my morning sickness is a lot worse with vomiting almost every day, although I'm able to keep most of what I eat down so I don't really want to resort to morning sickness drugs.

I'm also only 9 weeks gone but showing much earlier and feel like I'm already 4/5 months! My ribs feel they are so pushed up that I can feel my breathing being affected already. I'm also having difficulty sleeping and keep tossing and turning each night trying to find a comfortable position.

I'm also much fitter this time round so I thought my body would cope better, although maybe age (35yrs) has to do with it.

I know each pregnancy is different but just can't imagine going through another 7months of this, and I hate to think my negative thoughts might somehow affect my baby.

Flack is offline Registered User
    Hi Mumsy

I was feeling exactly the same as you and not enjoying my pregnancy. I was ill for the first 15 weeks and had no idea how I was going to survive the rest of the pregnancy. I was feeling isolated and was basically unable to leave the apartment. I became quite depressed. As I began to feel better I began to be much happier, but I still wouldn't say that I enjoy being pregnant. It didn't help that a couple of friends said that I should just be grateful to be pregnant, that just compounded guilt into the problem. I have come to realise that you can be happy about having a baby and grateful that you are having a baby without actually enjoying pregnancy.

Hopefully once your sickness improves your all over feeling of wellbeing will improve leaving you happier. If you are really feeling down I would mention it to your OB so they can be aware of it.

I also found prenatal yoga helped in a small way.

Take care of yourself

xx

Smiles is offline Registered User
    Dear Mumsy
    I'm just over 5 months into my second pregnancy and although I wouldn't say I'm not enjoying it I do think it is much harder then my first.

I don't think you should be so hard on yourself about not enjoying it as don't forget hormones are raging!! (I've also yet to meet anyone who found pregnancy a wonderful glowing experience...).

Plus with your second you don't have the luxery of taking a nap when you're tired (I'm really feeling the shattered this time round). I'm also finding my breathing affected (but again don't forget it's been pretty hot so that won't help much either!). Sleeping...huh, what with the constant trips to the bathroom, can't get comfortable etc etc (but don't forget you probably had all of this the first time as well!).

Good luck and give yourself a little treat of some sort (mines a bit of chocolate when I need a 'pick me up'...I'll worry about weight issues some other day!!)

madre2 is offline Registered User
    Dear Mumsy,

I'm 5 months into my first pregnancy, aged late-30s, and I've loved being pregnant for much of it but am going through a teary, worrying phase at the moment. I had a similar phase in the 1st trimester, but that passed and I began to feel really good. I'm assuming it's just hormones and all the changes - if you had this many changes going on at work, you'd feel less than happy too. I try and find time for a read and a cup of tea when I'm feeling sorry for myself.

Look after yourself, especially in this heat, which makes everything feel worse. You should feel more positive once the sickness passes.

: )

mumto2 is offline Registered User
    I found my second pregnancy dragged on a bit too compared to the first...its all so new and exciting the first time isn't it?! I think you're absolutely right too -there is no law saying that women have to LOVE being pregnant and it doesn't make you any less grateful for the gorgeous baby you will bring home. Some are lucky to love pregnancy and some just don't - its just the way it is. When you get really sick at the start, it just completely overrides any other positive feeling you can muster up - hopefully your illness will pass and then you can start feeling a bit more mobile and positive again. You are completely normal and will be completely fine! Pregnancy hormones are just a disaster too aren't they - they can exacerbate in the positive or the negative any feeling we have. At worst, remember that good 'ole saying...this too shall pass...best of luck...

LeahH is offline Registered User
    I totally agree - I had my second 2 months ago and didn't find the pregnancy enjoyable at any stage. With the first the challenges and changes were a novelty coupled with lots of lying around watching DVDs when I was tired! This time was sheer exhaustion given the demands of number 1 child, nausea and feeling huge right from the beginning. Age was a major factor in the way I felt I think.

Not to worry though, once the baby came it was all forgotten (except for the exhaustion bit!). I have sworn not to do it again though ...

Try to make time for lots of massage, footrubs and other stress releasing body treatments.

The birth/delivery was certainly easier second time around which was a major positive!

Nic
    Nic is offline Registered User
    Apologies for the previous post, I was reading with interest as I consider trying for baby 2. My daughter obviously also has an opinion!
    I cant imagine feeling as tired as I did when pregnant and having her to chase after all day, but then the end result is all worth the struggle I guess.
    I do remember from 1st time around some days I felt 'fine' and other days the slightest thing/ thought would set me off- you are most definitely not alone.

mumsy is offline Registered User
    Thanks everyone for all the kind words and encouragement - it's really helped me to start feeling better already. It's amazing how just by sharing my problems they don't seem as significant, and better to get it off my chest than sit at home feeling sorry for myself.

I was so excited with my first baby and constantly reading up my week by week pregnancy guide, and quite happy to find I had this and that symptoms! This time round I just can't wait for it to be over. Hopefully I only have 2/3 more weeks of the morning sickness left so everything else won't seem so taxing.

I should also remind myself how lucky I am to be fit and healthy and not have any serious complications that some other mothers go through.

Thanks again.