Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Diaper Pail STINKS!!!

lylee is offline Registered User
    nashua852, we also use tomy tippee but our's stink a lot. dh already tried to disinfect it, but the smell is still there. how do you clean your's to keep the smell out? tks

Nashua852 is offline Registered User
    Lyee,

You should check with the manufacturers if it does stink because it goes completely against what it says on the box i.e 'eliminates all odours..' some of my friends who have it also have not had any issues with it. In fact, ours was a faulty model as the second gripper came off - we called to tell them and they offered us a new one - it was due to my laziness and schedule at the time which didnt allow for a trek up to Quarry bay to claim it, plus the unit works perfectly well regardless. The only time I've noticed a smell is when we take it out and empty it, but generally it stays in the unit itself. We're very lax about ours. We spray it with dettol disinfectant when we take it out (about once a week) and on occasion I've wiped it down with water and bleach, but have had no issues re smell so far.
    Proud Mama to Kian Danyaal 08.12.2007 & Adara Michelle 10.10.2009

lylee is offline Registered User
    thanks for the advice nashua, will definitely call up the manufacturers tomorrow!

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Here's a cheaper super effective solution:

Go to any local Chinese "home supply store" and look for a squarish-sized container with a lid that is meant (as the outside photo will probably indicate) to put rice in to keep it air-tight and away from the humidity. It is small enough that you can line it with a regular-sized plastic grocery bag but it's big enough that it can hold probably 10 full, rolled up disposable diapers. The only time you'll have any smell is a brief second when you take off the lid to put another in. To clean it, take out the full bag and dispose of it, set it in your shower, fill it to the brim with hot, soapy, bleach water and put the lid (which fits down inside when not on top) in for a good soak--soak it for at least 30 minutes and there will be no smell whatsoever. How much does it cost? It cost me less than 20 HKD--I don't think you can beat it in HK and it works AWESOME! I bought it right after my son was born and talk about a great solution! Minimizes the stench and my trips to the lapsap!

http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m...W/Photo325.jpg

http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m...W/Photo327.jpg

http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m...W/Photo329.jpg

http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m...oto325-1-1.jpg

cheerfulmama is offline Registered User
    have no idea there is such a product. now that I know there is a product called Diaper pail, but I would not consider using it anyway. why not simply dispose the poopy diapers right away? it is not hygienic to keep them (some keep them for a week? OMG!) especially in baby's room.

just ask the helper / husband to dispose it immediately, if not, daily with the trash.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    It depends on how easy/difficult it is to take out your trash--where I live it's not easy--like walking down the hall dropping it in another bigger trash because we don't live in an apartment complex. No helper to do it and husband isn't at my beck and call just to take it out whenever I want it taken out. I don't think there is anything too unsanitary about not taking out poopy diapers immediately if they are disposed of in an airtight container that doesn't spread the smell/germs to the rest of the house. Some babies go through a lot of diapers in one day and if us moms were going to throw them out immediately after use we'd spend most of our day trekking to the trash. Our poopy diaper pail gets taken out once a day with the regular trash--but the airtight container keeps our house clean and fresh in the meantime.

Nashua852 is offline Registered User
    Cheerfulmama,

Perhaps google could have been of assistance as you said yourself you had no idea that these sort of products even existed;

on your remarks on hygiene, here's the product specifications for Sangenic Hygeine Plus Nappy Wrapper;

Sangenic Hygiene Plus is the new advanced hygiene nappy disposal system. It twists and seals away each nappy to lock in smells, germs and mess. It is the simple way of dealing with nappy disposal, and means a lot fewer trips to the outside bin.

* Twist-lock? technology wraps and seals each nappy individually and is 100 times more effective at odour prevention than nappy sacks*.
    * Germ-seal? anti-bacterial film keeps on killing germs inside the tub, providing unbeatable long lasting hygiene protection.
    * Unique easi-push? plunger pushes nappies into the tub.
    * Tub holds up to 28 nappies and the film cassette lasts about a month**.

If it's not for you, fine. Next time a little common sense and research may go a long way
    Proud Mama to Kian Danyaal 08.12.2007 & Adara Michelle 10.10.2009

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12