Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

not saying "mama dada"...almost 9 mon

beachedwhale is offline Registered User

not saying "mama dada"...almost 9 mon

Hi,

I know I am a bit worried about my baby's development, he is now 8.5 months. all of his little friends (some are younger, some are a little older), can say mama, dada.

my little one is not saying any words. just boo boo, gaga...is it normal? am worried he got some development problem...

:Butbut

BabyG is offline Registered User

Don't worry. My son is now 9.5 months and all he can say is mama. He calls both hubby and I mama

Nashua852 is offline Registered User

I wouldn't worry in the slightest. Little boys develop their speech skills generally later than girls. At 17 1/2 mos. my son can say around 15 words, and sign a few but understands a lot, e.g basic instructions like take your shoes off, brush your teeth, where's your dummy etc..

His first word came around the 12 1/2 month mark, and he was a babbler until around 15 mos. Babbling is good, let HIM choose his methold of communication with you. Of course encourage your son by talking to him, reading and pointing, but don't worry about it he'll come into his own by himself when the time is right for him I'm sure. :)

Last edited by Nashua852; 05-19-2009 at 08:37 PM. Reason: add more
    Proud Mama to Kian Danyaal 08.12.2007 & Adara Michelle 10.10.2009

carang is offline Registered User

TOTALLY normal. my son didn't talk much and at 2 years of age had a vocabulary of about 25 words. (he's now 4.5 and talks non-stop!)

my daughter, now 2.5, has a vocabulary of about 300 words or more.

what i'm trying to tell you is relax! every child develops differently.

Frenchy is offline Registered User

My son said Mama when he was 13 months, he is now 18 and say about 20 words... nothing to worry there !

KKKK is offline Registered User

My son started saying dada at about 8 months but not in relation to my husband - he didn't start saying mama until he was 10 month and not in relation to me. He is now nearly 11 months and although he says both often he still does not related them to us - he has just this week started to try and say hello and goodbye in context - they are are little unclear but very definately being said in context so i'm sure the other words will come. they all do stuff at such different ages - all my friends babies have better speech than my son - but then my son is doing other stuff that some of those babies can't do. Don't worry.

beachedwhale is offline Registered User

I know I shouldn't compare with others, everyone is different. I feel a lot better though after your reassurance.

thanka2 is offline Registered User

Also, it's good to know that just because he doesn't say words doesn't mean he can't say words. I truly think that my boy just picks and chooses when to say what. He still doesn't really call me "mama"--he doesn't really even have a word for me and he's almost 1.5 years-old. He calls his dad "dada" and then has names for the grandparents. Yeah, don't worry about it--he'll talk when he wants to and will start understanding more and more words even if he doesn't say them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast