Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

ergo carrier- problem with infant insert

alibali is offline Registered User

ergo carrier- problem with infant insert

hi. I just tried to use the infant insert with my ergo carrier today. My daughter is 2 months old. I watched the instructional DVD that came with the carrier, but cannot for the life of me, get my baby positioned the same as in the video (almost an "L" shape). My daughter's head kept flopping back or she would slowly slide out of the insert/ carrier, feet first. The insert doesn't seem to be firm enough to support baby's head and the material seems to cause the baby to slide. Anyone else using the insert and can share some tips? How to you get baby's head to stay semi- upright? After 5 hours in Central with it, I'm ready to throw the insert out! Thanks.

Suv
    Suv is offline Registered User
    Alibali, perhaps your straps/ cords need to be tightened- which is why your baby is slipping? I rested my baby's head against one of the straps or kind of between the bulky shoulder one and the one that goes on your back. I don't think the insert itself supports the head. I always wore the carrier and insert first and then slid the baby in it.

alibali is offline Registered User
    I did tighten the straps as the video indicated. I was afraid to do it any tighter than I did b/c the black webbing strap (it goes above the legs), was already pretty tight against my daughter's legs. Initially, baby's head was resting against the shoulder strap. but eventually her head/ insert would start to flop backwards or her butt gradually slid down/out the carrier. I guess I just need to practice a lot more in front of a mirror to find the right position for all the baby's bits! Suv- do you use the insert pretty regularly and like it?

Suv
    Suv is offline Registered User
    Her butt should rest in similar place the kid's butts would normally be when using without the insert so that it does not slide out. Sorry, I am trying to remember hard exactly how I used it. I used the insert very regularly till he was straining to see what was going on outside and didn't want to be in the semi-lying position. I had to switch to Baby Bjorn till he gained the recommended weight and could finally wrap his legs around me. I am glad to be back with ergo as it does not kill my back.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by alibali View Post
    I did tighten the straps as the video indicated. I was afraid to do it any tighter than I did b/c the black webbing strap (it goes above the legs), was already pretty tight against my daughter's legs.
    I have no idea what you mean by that strap - maybe that's the problem??

Also, do you put the arm straps on first and then slide the baby in and tighten the straps? Or do you put her against you and then put the straps on? I know there are instructions for both ways on the DVD...

I found it easiest to do it like this:

1. put the ergo on with the shoulder straps really loose, I generally didn't do up the clip at the back yet so I could have more adjusting room.
    2. put the infant insert into the ergo, so that it's folded at the bottom, and kind of folded at the side a little
    3. slide baby in (this step was the hardest - it required help from hubby at first, but I got to where I could do it by myself, I just had to be sitting and leaning back a bit)
    4. position everything so that baby's bottom is around my belly button, her legs are sideways, but flat across the waist strap, and her head is kinda laying in my cleavage.
    5. do up back clip and tighten everything until she's in there really tight. Nothing should be digging in anywhere, baby's bottom should be in the middle of your tummy so she can't slide either way, and her head should supported.

My hubby always freaked out with the infant insert because he felt like he was mushing her too tight across her shoulders - but it has to be tight. Also it won't feel "symmetric" because baby is sideways... it took me about 3 or 4 tries at home before I was brave enough to go out with it - but in the end, I found it really good!!

All the best!! Let us know how it goes :)

joannek is offline Registered User
    i also have problems w/ putting bb in the ergo. baby is 10 weeks & she doesn' t like her shoulders being squashed together in the carrier. am i doing it wrong or it takes practice? I tried twice but both times as I was trying to adjust baby started crying. (& she doesn't normally cry unless she's uncomfortable). i bought the ergo for $1000 w/ the insert, I want to start using it.

pls help! thanks.