Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

anyone else using gina ford? help please.

onesarah is offline Registered User
    Thanks for your replies.
    Please dont let this turn into an anti-Gina Ford/routine thread though. I have made the decision to try and follow the routine as it worked so well with my first son from week 1 and who was a very happy baby and always slept well.
    I love my newborn hugely and what upsets me is hearing him cry when we have ruled out any possible problems and know he has fed well. His evening awekenings appear just to be from the fact he isnt able to resetttle himself to sleep and needs a cuddle to do so. We are very happy to do this, but also know from experience that he needs to learn to do this himself. He is swaddled and will almost instantly fall asleep on us when we lift him and then cries when we put him back in his cot.
    Thanks LeahH for your comments and also Smile - I will try a timer!

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    ok, here's what I did, when I saw that baby was starting to doze off, I would put her down in cot, swaddle her and then pat her a little if she does not fall asleep within a couple of minutes. If they woke up and cry for more than a minute or two, I went in to pat them back to sleep in the dark.

I rarely picked them up to soothe, mostly cos generally not need to and also I did not want them to get into a habit of crying and knowing it means pick up time. On the odd occasions that they did not settle back to sleep, I did pick up, but no rocking, I just held them swaddled and slowly and gently pat them to soothe. Once they became calmer, I put them back in the cot and slowly patted a bit more until they dozed off, then sneaked out of room.

One thing I just remembered was that cos my 2 kids drank ebm from bottle, they finished quite quickly and tend to be sleepy after that. At the beginning few weeks, I did not make them stay up till 7pm. I would quietly try to entertain them to keep them awake, but if they are ready to sleep by 6:30, 6:45, so be it.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieMum View Post
    Personally, I think these books are good for a little guidance, but try not to treat them as gospel or beat yourself up if they don't conform. I also followed a similar book (author was Tizzie Hall - Save our sleep). Admittedly, I didn't follow the routines until my baby was a little older (from around 4 months from memory) but when I did, she often threw me out on many occasions.
    Your baby is still very young so I would tend at this stage to just try and listen to him, learn his crys, use the first few months to get to know each other and that way when you are ready to enforce routine (if he is not falling into his own by this stage) you will at least have an understanding of his needs and cries (ie, is he just wanting attention, does he have gas, is he hungry, etc) and be able to handle his needs a little better. Naturally you will both grow with experience.
    Just my opinion anyway, best of luck with your new son.
    I agree with all of this and just wanted to say that there is nothing wrong with a baby wanting attention. As someone else mentioned, they are too young to manipulate, they genuinely need love and affection.
    For me the first 4 months or so are the best. I give as many cuddles as I can and as my babies want without fear of it making my life worse down the track. We don't do routines at this time and it's worked out fine for my 2 older boys, both slept well from the appropriate age. Third is still in this spoiling phase and we get nary a peep from him unless he's hungry. Each to his own.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Also wanted to agree with Jennifer. My now 8 week old couldn't stay awake for an hour for at least 4-5 weeks. Asking a 2 week old to do it seems a bit weird.

zac08 is offline Registered User
    agree with most of the comments above. we tried putting my baby boy on GF right from day one but found that it simply didn't make sense til he was around 3 months. the other posters are absolutely correct to say that even GF doesn't espouse CIO so early (pretty insane to let a 2 week old cry it out - that is borderline child abuse really). GF does NOT say you should let a 2 week old cio. crying down is a totally different thing from cold turkey cio. letting a 2 week old cio could be very traumatizing and even Dr. Ferber who is very controversial says not to try CIO til after 4 months. after our son turned 3 months, putting him on a schedule started to make much more sense and by 4 months he was pretty much on the GF plan, well with modifications of course.

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    i have used gina routines with both my boys. for the first 4-6 weeks i just went with the flow. i slowly started introducing set feed times. used her as a guide for nap times and didn't worry about self setting at all until around 6 weeks from memory. for my eldest son i would leave him for 5mins (a very long clock watching 5 mins) and go into him. he was textbook cry-down baby at 7pm and for months and months always took 15mins and me going in 2-3 times before he went off to sleep (never any issues duting day!) my youngest had a very different more traumatic cry that pulled at my heartstrings and i could never bear to leave him cry. so for the first 6 weeks i cuddled and rocked him and did all those things. from about 6 weeks of age i started to pat him to sleep in his cot. (the shh pat technique that the baby whisperer talks about i think). i tried my hardest not to pick him up and would not leave the room until he fell asleep. it didn't take long. the patting time got less and less. and if i felt like he needed a cuddle i picked him up and cuddled him and started again.

give yourselves time to find your groove and do what feels right for this little guy who is likely to be a very different baby than your eldest. I felt like a new mum all over again with my second!

beachedwhale is offline Registered User
    me too, I follow Gina's Ford's routine since my son was 4 weeks old. I can't thank you enough for her routine! Before that, my life was fallen apart.

didn't know what to do, didn't have any "me" time, didn't have time to have dinner with husband.

I found tight swaddling + shhhhh works. try to put baby to bed carefully in dark....

Matty is offline Registered User
    My first son managed well with the Gina routines, but I found that no matter how much I tried, my 2nd had his own ideas.

It was impossible to keep him awake, and he needed way more sleep than her routines offered.
    If I had persisted, he would have been completely sleep deprived.

At 11 months he still is a ridiculous sleeper, sleeping from 7.30pm- 8am (usually needing to be woken up) and still sleeping 3.5- 4.5 hrs in the day.

If your baby doesn't fall easily into her routines, don't force it, some babies are just different.
    Especially not at this age. Just because the routines don't work at 2 weeks, doesn't mean they wont work in a few weeks time.

It is a really bad idea to let a 2 week old baby cry. The world is a pretty confusing place, and they need to know that you will comfort them no matter what.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast