Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Riding the emotional roller coaster

Sparkle is offline Registered User

Riding the emotional roller coaster

Had a miscarriage from my first pregnancy in the first trimester last June. Been trying again after that and going into 10th cycle of trying without success. Words cannot describe how I feel right now. Still feeling the pain from the previous loss and losing every hope in conceiving again after so many months of doing the right things but with no success.

I can feel the changes in my body during this 2 weeks waiting period in this cycle. My boobs have grown substantially bigger, more tender and sore... So I thought it was a good sign, with increased mucus all this time... And yet, the pregnancy test trip just gave me a slap in my face. How can this not be it??????

Has anyone had similar experience of false alarm? Really need some support right now. So down... So down...

I have made an appointment with Dr. Carina Chan and Dr. Milton Leong of the Women's Clinic. Can anyone share her experience with Dr. Leong as it will be my first consultation with him?

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I`m sorry you are going through all of this.
    For my pregnancy(I have a baby now), which was about 2.5 months after a D&C, the first test showed negative, but I had symptoms. I took another test about a week later and it was confirmed. The first test was faulty.
    Did you take many tests already? How many days are you late?

My period isn't due until tomorrow. I took an early pregnancy test for it claims to be effective on samples taken for up to 4 days before due. From my last pregnancy, the result returned positive few days before my period is due.

Interesting...

Thank you so much for your message, Shenzheniffer.

Matty is offline Registered User
    I found it best to wait until my period is missed before testing.
    For some reason, my tests returned negative before this.
    With my first pregnancy I tested negative the day I was due( with a test you could use 5 days before), then went on holidays and drank loads, only to find a week later my period still hadn't arrived and I was actually pregnant. ( My son was fine after this).

Try not to let yourself get too upset. It will happen. After having a miscarriage and then giving birth to a beautiful baby, I look back and think that if I'd gotten pregnant any other month, or hadn't miscarried, this particular baby would never have been born.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I agree with Matty. Although my miscarriage and subsequent D&C was emotionally (and physically) painful, if that never happened at that time, I would never have gone on the conceive and give birth to this beautiful child. It sounds strange, but miscarrying was the greatest thing to happen to me now.
    I didn`t know they had tests that claimed to be so sensitive. I would definitely wait til at least you missed your period - the hormone levels need time to rise more, I would think.

sherwes is offline Registered User
    Sparkle, I just want to say hang in there. I had several m/c before having my baby boy and now I am about to have a second child (with another m/c in between). I know how hard it is when you m/c and then its takes a long time to conceive again. It is pretty soul destroying. However, I do agree with what the other posters have said, if I hadn't had the m/cs I wouldn't have gone on to have the beautiful son I have today and the daughter I am going to have in a couple of weeks time.

You don't mention how old you are but if you are over 35 (as I was) you should give some thought to having a full fertility work up even though you have "only" had one m/c and "only" been trying again for 10 cycles. A lot of doctors want to wait until you have 3 m/c to perform extra tests but, if you can afford it, I would push to have all of the tests now so you don't wait another 6 months to find out that you have an problem that is correctable.

Goodluck and I really hope that the pregnancy test is a false negative.

wenyihsu is offline Registered User
    Hi Sparkle, sorry to hear about what you are going through. I can understand to a certain extent what you are going through. I had a miscarriage end of Feb and had a subsequent D&C. I'm on my 2 cycle since the D&C. Since I only have one ovary, I've been seeing my doctor frequently just to monitor things more closely since I know I have low progesterone. At the same time, I've also been seeing an acupuncturist just to help with regulating my period better. Anyways, took a pregnancy test yesterday that showed a very faint pregnancy line. Took another one this morning that turned up negative. (Two different brands). I'm not really sure what to think. I'm seeing my doctor again tomorrow so we shall see.
    Not sure if you believe in Chinese medicine but it might be worth a try. I was converted when a good friend of mine had trouble menstruating properly or even regularly 1 year after giving birth (she stopped breastfeeding at 6 months). She went through all sorts of treatments with 2 different doctors for 1 year with no result. Finally she decided to take a break and started seeing an acupuncturist instead. 4 months later she got pregnant. Be more than happy to pass on the info on the acupuncturist if you are interested.
    As for Mr. Milton Leong, I saw him for my first pregnancy. Just be prepared for one waits. He's a nice man and is generally very patient in answering your questions. Although if you don't go into appointments with a list of questions yourself, the appointments tend to be on the short side. But I didn't feel he was as easily accessible. Also, he generally likes to keep his patients on the small side (once you get pregnant) which really annoyed my husband since he suggested on more than 2 occasions that I needed to watch my weight a little (which of course not the best thing to tell a pregnant women with raging hormones and already very self conscious about weight). Anyways, that's why I've decided to try a different doctor this time around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast