Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Sleeping Solutions - 3 year old

spockey is offline Registered User

Sleeping Solutions - 3 year old

I've had a sound sleeper and have had no trouble at all since he was 5 weeks old. But since we've moved into our new apartment about 3 months ago, he has refused to sleep in his own room.

I'm in desperate need for him to return to his bed as it's now affecting my sleep. Is there anyone going through this? Or has gone through this?
    How have you solved this problem without a scream fest?

sea princess is offline Registered User

spockey

Hi Spockey
    Our daughter had a sleep hiccup at around this age too. I think for her it was the start of more independence and she was a little frightened? She stopped wearing night nappies, started kindergarten and gave up her dummy. She even tried on a few occasions to pull down my top and have some milk (which had been long dried up!!). She also had some bad dreams. We ended up putting a light with a 2 hour timer on it in her room to help her get to sleep. As you would already know, kids love routine and consistencey. So keep going with your regular bed time routine (bath, book etc or whatever you have done prior) and hopefully it will resolve itself. And get him back into his room, even if that means you have to stay with him for a little. A tired mum is not much fun to be around the next day!

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User

My oldest has always had trouble staying asleep because she didn't sleep well during the day and at night would always mean one or two wake ups (sometimes more). We had periods where she did sleep through but could never maintain it.

I can count on my hands the number of times my almost 2 year old slept all night until she turned two and I moved her into a bed. Even after a two week stint of sleep training (and we didn't give in!). She did get a little better after the sleep training but still woke most nights.

A friend suggested Dr Ferber's book "Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems" which details the progressive approach to sleep training!

It is brilliant and I wish I had had it from birth for both my kids.

It also helps explain sleeping in general (are your own sleep patterns good?). Good luck!

I find it more useful than a chapter on sleep in a general baby book.

Good luck and it doesn't last forever - you just need to survive until it does :)

spockey is offline Registered User

Thanks ladies!
    Will be my summer holiday mission to get him back into his own bed!