Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Can you refuse newborn vax??

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    just tell them in advance that you will get it done privately...actually, with my 1st at QMH they asked if I wanted it done or done privately, with my 2nd at HK Sanatorium, they didn't even ask and just gave her the vaccination which really didn't go down well. the BCG is known to leave a scar (though how big it depends on your child) and I wanted my girls to have the BCG done on the upper thigh...yes, I'm vain! Anyhow, that was why I was so upset at HK Sanatorium - they simply said - oh it's free Mrs...part of your package! whereas at QMH they were very polite about it all...no resistance what so ever, just make sure they know in advance.

banane76 is offline Registered User
    I've heard you have to be careful with the BCG vaccination when it's done in the bum because it could easily get infected especially with diapering. But yeah, you can refuse...at QMH, they would ask for my consent before they did the vaccination for all the vaccinations.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Wish I could have had the BCG done on my girl's thigh. I also don't want her to have a scar like that on her upper arm. I guess it will be a permanent souvenir from being born in HK...

southside852 is offline Registered User
    we refused BCG w/both my boys and will not give them at all since we are American and if we return to the states they will test positive.

ozmerc is offline Registered User
    We will probably also skip the BCG because we are in a low risk group (none of my family has had this vax) and it seems to me like a nasty one for a newborn baby to have. But it can always be administered at any time at your docs office if you change your mind later. Actually same goes for Hep B...I didn't have my first Hep B shot until age 21...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12