Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Not accepted after 3 months pregancy ?

dimsum mum is offline Registered User

if you have had recurrent miscarriages, and are a "high risk" pregnancy then you are possibly best for the public system.

when i had a high risk pregnancy i went through the public system (i went through the private system with my first), and though the waiting rooms were not glamorous, the doctors were excellent. i could not fault them. in hong kong, high risk pregnancies are often handled by the public system because they have the hospital facilities best equipped for potential situations that the private hospitals do not.

if your pregnancy is considered high risk, your checkups will be often. i was going every two weeks while in my second trimester and if i had made it to my third, i would have been going weekly.

hope this helps.

carang is offline Registered User

if you are high risk, they will assess you accordingly in the public system. i was high risk and i went to the doctor every 2 weeks.

as for insurance being inconvenient... well, they would be kind of stupid if they allowed you to get pregnant anytime and they would cover it... think about it, if you had insurance that was applicable within a month of purchase and then you got pregnant right away... you would only have paid 1 month's premium before they had to start paying out! that doesn't make any sense financially for them.

public vs private....
    if you want luxury (including a private room) you have to go private. if you want good medical care and nothing else matters, then go public.

silentsound is offline Registered User

Wow, so many posts and useful information. Everybody is so nice here. Thanks again.

I had once miscarriage experience this Feb. Actually it cannot be called miscarriage. My ob here in U.S. said it is chemical pregnancy. I lost it on the 2nd day of the 5th week. I am kind of nervous of the following pregnancy.

It seems i 'd better go to public hospital. I had assumed that i have no way to get more often checkups in public hospital if my pregnancy is not so smoothly. From the information provided by all friends, it seems I am wrong.

I have some other questions. Hope somebody can give me some hints .

1. In US, if something unusual happened during my pregnancy, i can call my ob and my ob will see me at the earliest time. Is that same in HK? Say, last time i had spotting and slight pain at night. I emailed my ob and she asked me to go to see her early the next morning.

2. In public, will the checkup include down screen, diabetes etc? Or I need to request that, otherwise, ob will not do that for me.

3. I heard that in public hospital, i have no way to follow the same ob. It might be different ob for each checkup. Is that true?

4. I had chemical pregnancy experience, can i ask ob to give me blood test to check the change of hcg and Progesterone level as soon as i get pregnant and keep monitoring until it's safe?

Sorry for so many questions. Thanks a lot!

"1. In US, if something unusual happened during my pregnancy, i can call my ob and my ob will see me at the earliest time. Is that same in HK? Say, last time i had spotting and slight pain at night. I emailed my ob and she asked me to go to see her early the next morning."

if you are using the public system and you start bleeding you go IMMEDIATELY to the hospital. they will check you in for monitoring.

"2. In public, will the checkup include down screen, diabetes etc? Or I need to request that, otherwise, ob will not do that for me."

it is up to you. if you are older than 35, they will do it for free. if you are under 35, they can do it for you, but it costs more (about $1000HKD)

"3. I heard that in public hospital, i have no way to follow the same ob. It might be different ob for each checkup. Is that true?"

this is true. it is one of the drawbacks of hte public system. HOWEVER, if you are high risk, then it will be a limited number of doctors. there were 4 doctors handling high risk when i was having my second, i always saw one of them. because i had so many appointments, they all got to know my case very well. there were times that i even had the HEAD of the department taking care of me!

"4. I had chemical pregnancy experience, can i ask ob to give me blood test to check the change of hcg and Progesterone level as soon as i get pregnant and keep monitoring until it's safe?"

i have no idea. unless you are high risk, the doctors in the public system don't see you until around 10-11 weeks or so. because you seem to be high risk, all i can advise is to make your first appointment IMMEDIATELY when you get that positive test. it will probably take a week or two through the public system. what i would do is book the first few appointments privately then once all is ok, change to public.

jaz1311 is offline Registered User

Hi

Dont be too worry about no doctor accepting you. I only arrive in HK when I was 25 weeks pregnant and I still managed to get to book a private Ob and a private hospital.

I even had a medical complication.

welovebaby is offline Registered User

I had my first baby in public hospital and it was fine, service wasn't top dollar but it reflects the general attitude of public service people all over hong kong. i am due to have my second at QMH in august.
    it cost me $600 first time (vs 100k in private) and that was cos i was in labour for so long i had to stay an extra 2 nights, would've been cheaper otherwise. if you have a normal uncomplicated delivery you will be out after 2 nights. i think i could suffer 2 noisy nights and save that money for other uses in the future.
    1) you can register at public hospital at 3 months and not before. up to you if you attend the public check ups or not but it may help them have more comprehensive records for when you deliver. you can also supplement public visits with as many private as you like. bear in mind you're looking at around 700 - 1000 each visit. i have plenty of friends who had private check ups and gave birth in public hospital without any problems. i guess if you have money to burn then private is the way to go. hell, i would if i won the lottery.
    if you have complications i have also heard that QMH is the best and if you are in private they don't have the facilities so you will end up there anyway but may have to pay for QMH's private care which is as much if not more than going private. i know someone who had a rare blood complication and she got the best treatment at QMH cos she was high risk and got the top docs.
    hope this helps!

if you are high risk you can go to public hospitals (ie. QMH)LONG before 3 months.... i have checkups every 1-2 weeks from the day i find out i am pregnant...toooo many complications and too dangerous to leave it until 3 months for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12