Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Not accepted after 3 months pregancy ?

silentsound is offline Registered User

Not accepted after 3 months pregancy ?

Hi all,

I am new member here. Right now I'm in America and will move to Hong Kong a couple of month later and try to get pregnant recently. I have 2 questions:

1. I heard that i have to see an OB in the first 3 months pregnancy.
    Otherwise i will not be accepted. Is that true? So i am worried if when i
    move to hk with more than 3 months pregnancy, but the doctor will not
    accept me, how am i gonna do?

2. Is private hospital better than public one? I am 36 years old.
    ( too old :-( )The first time to have a baby and i want to have an
    experienced ob and a hospital with good facilities.

3. is there any website that i can check review for all ob in Hong Kong or
    a website from which that I can tell which ob's clinic is near to where I
    live?

4. how to make an appointment? Online or phone call?

Too many questions. Thanks a lot!

mela is offline Registered User

The doctors will always accept you it's the private hospital booking you might have a problem with. However a friend of mine has just had her confirmation and she is 12 weeks pregnant - she was initially told that there were no spaces but her doctor got her in.

Private hospitals are obviously more plush but if there are any complications with your pregnancy/delivery they will still transfer you to the public one. I read somewhere that HK Queen Mary Hospital has the best neonatal facility in Asia

Geobaby forums and directory is full of OB reviews so you should be abe to find some info there.

You usually just call to make an appointment.

Hope your move goes smoothly - try not to worry too much it all sounds more complicated than it really is:)

aussiegal is offline Registered User

1) no, it's not true. I had my second child here after moving at 6 months and was able to see the Ob of my choice and go to the hospital of my choice. Occasionally it is hard to get a confirmed hospital booking immediately if you are wanting to use a great private hospital like the matilda or the adventist but i've never heard of anyone being turned away.

2) Private hospitals here are superb, really really superb. I would think about having a 4th child just to go back to the Matilda. Well almost!

But they are hellishly expensive so unless your insurance is paying for it or you don't mind dropping over $100k for the birth they should be avoided. The public hospitals have great doctors, midwives etc. They deal with larger numbers of women giving birth so are experienced at handling complications etc but the downside is they are not really 'nice' places to have a baby. I have a few friends who had first babies there and hated it so much that it is a bit of a downer on their memories of childbirth etc. Two of them went on to have second babies and actually paid to go to the Matilda out of the own pocket even though financially it hurt them quite a bit. The Obs at the privates are also fantastic so I don't think you have to worry about that side of things either way.

3) don't know about 3 but this forum is excellent for finding out more about Obs. Just do a bit of a search or ask for recommendations (there are already plenty up here).

4) call.

Quote Originally Posted by mela View Post
    The doctors will always accept you it's the private hospital booking you might have a problem with. However a friend of mine has just had her confirmation and she is 12 weeks pregnant - she was initially told that there were no spaces but her doctor got her in.

Private hospitals are obviously more plush but if there are any complications with your pregnancy/delivery they will still transfer you to the public one. I read somewhere that HK Queen Mary Hospital has the best neonatal facility in Asia

Geobaby forums and directory is full of OB reviews so you should be abe to find some info there.

You usually just call to make an appointment.

Hope your move goes smoothly - try not to worry too much it all sounds more complicated than it really is:)

Thank u, Mela and Aussiegal

You mean i might have problem with private hospital booking, if i go with public, it might be ok.

I heard that i will have more and careful checkups with private ob than a public one. Is that true?

BTW, can i buy insurance in HK after i get pregant?

Many thanks.
    Last edited by silentsound; 05-22-2009 at 08:36 AM.

mela is offline Registered User

Yes - if you go public and you have the resident card (which you will after about a month) they will have to admit you no matter what. With private hospital it depends if they have spaces - the most popular ones Matilda and Adventist are usually fully booked but there are occassional cancellations.

You can see a private OB through your pregnancy and then deliver in a public hospital if you feel that you need extra care. I'm going private and I used to see my OB every 4 weeks and from 29 weeks onwards I get to see him every 2 weeks. I think in public system you don't see your doc that often but this is a normal practice in Europe and whenever I tell people at home how often I go and see my doc they are all surprised.

Usually insurance will not cover your pregnancy in the first year or 6 months - it's like a grace period or sth but I would double check. You don't have to wait until you get to HK to take insurance. I'm with BUPA international and very happy with them but probably best talk to some advisers in the US.

good luck

carang is offline Registered User

i went public with two VERY complicated pregnancies. the facilities are not fancy by any stretch of the imagination. are there things that i would have liked to be done differently? yes. would i pay out of my pocket to have had them privately? no way. i can use that $250,000 on many other things for my children instead.

that is just my opinion, you will find that everyone has a different one.

most insurance will not cover pregnancy for at least 10 months from the date of purchase.

Thank you all!!!

Economically, I should go to public ob and hospital, espeically the situation like mine. I might get pregant before I move to HK. That means I have no way to buy insurance several months before my pregancy.

However, I heard that service in public is not as comfortable as that in private. The most important thing is that there are not so often checkups in public. And in public hospital, there is even no private room after delivery.

I am 36 years old, not young to have the first baby. In addtion, I had miscarriage experiences. So I need very often and close checkups and monitor for my pregancy. Is that affordable for me to go to private doc. for checkups during pregnancy and finally go to public for delivery? What is the estimated cost for all checkups during the whole pregancy in private?

Is there no insurance company without those 6 or 12 months restriction? How can the medical system be like that in HK? So unconvenient and unfriendly. Can anybody tell me how to solve my problem and any other suggestions for me?

Your help is really appreciated.

spsmok is offline Registered User

I have a couple of friends who went to public for delivery. Both of them went to private ob for checkups, in addition to the checkups at the public hospital. So you'd be looking at only the additional private checkups. But the cost varies with different doctors. My doctor cost approx US$80 per visit, and additional US$100 for ultrasound.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast