Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Delivery room and Swine flu

sherwes is offline Registered User
    This is absolutely and completely ridiculous. I am due in 11 days and I am just so upset to think that this could be true. It just makes no sense - even if your husband had swine flu why is he any more likely to pass it on in the delivery room as opposed to in your hospital room after the delivery??? If the hospital genuinely suspects that a person has a communicable disease they should by all means isolate them but this blanket ban on having husbands in the delivery room is just baseless!

I am delivering at the Matilda. I will email the admissions person at the Matilda now to check their policy.

acjacj is offline Registered User
    I agree that it seems baseless, especially since the husbands are allowed during visiting hours before and after delivery. It just doesn't make any sense, and no medical professional has been able to explain it at all. Probably because there is no plausible explanation. Are the staff being tested every single day for the swine flu? Probably not, because it is ridiculous--and the disease has been thought to be even less harmful than the normal flu strain. If staff are not being tested, they are just as much a "risk" (if you can even call it that) than husbands in the delivery room. If anyone has any information or updates for either public or private hospitals, please let us all know.

hannah.e.law is offline Registered User
    I'm overdue by three days right now and am very concerned about my husband not being able to be with me. I'd heard they had shortened visiting hours as well. I hope not because my mother is here from the US to see her firstborn grandson! I guess we'll wait and see. Afterall, I still have to go into labor before anything can be done! Arrggg!

I'm delivering in the public hospital (Pamela Youde) and will let you gals know what they do or do not allow. I'm going to try to not stress about it and just accept whatever comes along, although I will try to see if my husband can come in.

sherwes is offline Registered User
    I have confirmed with the Matilda - they don't yet have this policy. Hopefully they won't decide to implement it in the next week (I am due next week).

chrissy2 is offline Registered User
    I wish I choose Matilda instead of the Baptist Hospital :( I only went with the baptist because its closer to my home (I live on Lantau) and was worried that Matilda is too far from me!

Momma is offline Registered User
    Just wanted to let you girls know that Queen Elizabeth confirmed to me today that the policy is still in place for not allowing husbands to accompany labour/delivery (due to swine flu fears). My midwife there completely disagrees with the policy but said there's nothing she can do.

I guess I have to focus on going it alone now rather than getting stressed, but I'm just so disappointed. She said that it's a recommendation from the Hospital Authority and is ultimately decided upon by individual hospital managers. Good luck to all the mums-to-be out there who are affected by this.

mumto2 is offline Registered User
    this is such bull$%%, I just feel so badly for you mums who really want your husbands there. What an absolute load of nonsense since they will allow the husbands there directly after giving birth! Ridiculous. I'm really sorry this is happening for you all...

mama-to-be is offline Registered User
    Does anyone know if this "policy" applies to Princess Margaret Hospital?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast