Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Delivery room and Swine flu

hannah.e.law is offline Registered User
    I have birth to my son at Pamela Youde public hospital yesterday and although they have shortened visiting hours to 6-8pm, my husband was allowed in the delivery room with me the entire time. Hope that reassures some of you who are due soon!

Nashua852 is offline Registered User
    Hannah, Congratulations!!! How's your little guy doing? And that's very reassuring - thank you for taking time out of the torrent of exhaustion to tell the rest of us :). Did he have to put up a bit of a fight to be allowed in? Congrats again!
    Proud Mama to Kian Danyaal 08.12.2007 & Adara Michelle 10.10.2009

rani is offline Administrator
    The story was covered in today's Standard

Up in arms

Nickkita Lau

Monday, June 01, 2009

If you expect to give birth to a bundle of joy this summer, don't count on your loved one being there to hold your hand.

It's not that he'll be down the nearest bar celebrating, but a Hospital Authority directive may keep him out of the delivery room.

The move, part of the fight against human swine flu (H1N1), has worried mothers-to-be and they have flooded an online parenting forum with complaints.

Those due to give birth in private hospitals also fear restrictions may be applied to them.

One medical expert yesterday described a delivery room ban as an overreaction.

When approached by The Standard, health chiefs said arrangements are either left to individual hospitals or subject to general policies that may be reviewed at any time.

Expectant moms told the forum on Hong Kong Baby, Pregnancy and Parenting Community - For Parents and Hong Kong Babies of their fears.

One, due to give birth at the private Baptist Hospital,is devastated.

"I have been so upset about this and have even cried because it's my first baby. I'm all alone here in Hong Kong already. I really need him there for me," she said.

Another said Queen Elizabeth Hospital confirmed that such a policy is in place. She described it as a Hospital Authority recommendation to be decided upon by individual managers.

However, an authority spokesman denied this.

He said loved ones have never been automatically allowed into delivery rooms at Queen Elizabeth.

"In general, the husband or other relatives may not be allowed to accompany [the patient] through labor if the ward is too busy, even though they [may] have attended the antenatal classes."

The Women's Health Centre at Baptist Hospital said husbands are allowed to accompany their wives during natural birth but not by cesarean section. The policy is subject to change depending on the swine flu situation.

A spokesman for the private St Teresa's Hospital said as long as the husband has no flu symptoms and has a satisfactory travel and occupational history he will be allowed in. He did not rule out the possibility of a stricter policy if a community outbreak occurs.

Infectious diseases expert Lo Wing- lok said the risk of swine flu transmission inside the delivery room is extremely low. A ban on the presence of loved ones would be an overreaction, Lo said.

"Husbands will be fully covered with protective gear anyway. Their presence offers tremendous psychological support to their wives, and this has been a practice widely encouraged by obstetricians in recent years."

The Standard - Hong Kong's First FREE English Newspaper

qilin is offline Registered User
    I am giving birth at Matilda in a week or two. I spoke to my OB last week and she said that Matilda does not have this policy. Public hospitals on the other hand, may. They are usually less agreeable to having partners in the delivery room anyway, whether there is an issue with disease control or not.

I totally agree that not allowing birth partners in during delivery is completely IDIOTIC. Giving birth is already pretty stressful. To be denied having your chosen birth partner with you would be horrible for many women. We're already feeling pretty darn vulnerable and nervous, especially for first timers. Besides, where's the logic? Attending staff could as easily pass on the virus as a birth partner. Are all staff/ doctors screened and quarantined prior to being allowed to attend a birth?? What about all the nurses/midwives in the nursery? It just doesn't make sense.

AussieMum is offline Registered User
    I am due in around 8 weeks, and may I add that if my hospital doesn't allow my husband into the delivery room, then I will go and have the baby where my husband is allowed, even if that is in the corridor, reception or carpark. I will refuse for my husband to not be there, and this will be my second baby. He helped me get through the birth the first time, and there is no way I will tolerate him not being there the second time. Hopefully we don't have to go down this track. Best of luck to all the ladies approaching their delivery!

Momma is offline Registered User
    My wonderful husband has been fighting this all the way, for both our sakes. He spoke direct with the Patient's Relation Officer at Queen Elizabeth today. She has advised him that QE have now removed this ban. However, the Officer also said that it could be reinstated at any time depending on swine flu conditions. So, it seems we're still having to cross our fingers and see what happens on the big day.

Can I therefore encourage as many of you and your partners as possible, to express your feelings about this to the Patient Relations department at your individual hospitals. If you get no joy from them, go to the top and contact the Hospital Authority Patient Relations team on 2300-7125.

It should be a basic human right for a father to attend the birth of his child.

welovebaby is offline Registered User
    Aussiemum, i am also due around the same time as you and totally agree with you. i refuse not to have my husband with me when our second child is born. fingers crossed that QMH doesn't adopt this measure. it seems to be at the will of each individual hospital.

AussieMum is offline Registered User
    Hi welovebaby, thankfully I am full of really crazy hormones at the moment and no one would really want to pick a fight with me, especially in the throws of labour. Good luck with your labour (and everyone else), and hope you don't even have to enter the discussion of whether your husband can or can't enter into the room.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast