Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Delivery room and Swine flu

hannah.e.law is offline Registered User
    Just to let you ladies know, I didn't even have to put up a fight to have my husband there. He was allowed in as a matter of fact, no questions asked other than whether he had any symptoms of illness and they took his temperature. He was the only one they would allow in even if they volunteered to rotate in one at a time, so my parents had to wait in the hall.

And the little man is doing great! Couldn't ask for more!

Hulda is offline Registered User
    Hi all,
    I am writing an article about this and trying to appeal to the hospitals to be more flexible and family friendly, i.e. allow husbands there and some other things as well. I am repetedly shocked to see how births are managed here, and I believe this is an urgent issue. So any stories that can be shared (pregnant or new mums), pls email to me,

Kind regards,
    Hulda, midwife at Annerley
    [email protected]

Whale is offline Registered User
    Stopping a support person from accompaning a woman in labour, is a violation of her basic human rights! No woman should ever have to endure labour (natural or c-section) without having someone she trust to support her.

My suggestions to anyone who is facing the possibility of having their support person bared from entering the labour room is as follows:
    1) DEMAND that your support person stay with you. At no time let that person out of your sight. If they want to take you into the labour room without that person refuse to go. The bottom lines is 'Where you go...they go!' Don't take no for an answer and be prepared to be very assertive.
    2) Handcuff yourself to your support person. Yes this sounds extreme, but they can't remove your support person without removing you.
    3) Threaten to take the staff member to court if they try to stop your support person accompaning you in the delivery room. I suggestion "mental and emotional distress". For this to be a legitimate threat, it needs to be targeted at one or more staff members, not 'the hospital' or 'all of you'. Get their full names, employee numbers, registration numbers and ID numbers. They are required to give you all of these.

I hope these work for you. Be ready to insist on what you want to the point of being labelled a 'problem patient'. This is your labour, and you should be able to get what you need ie your support person.

mama-to-be is offline Registered User
    Hi - just wondering if there are any updates? As the numbers have increased to over a hundred, are the hospitals now all the more strict on husbands wanting to enter the labour room?

AussieMum is offline Registered User
    Hi, I was also wondering if there have been any updates. I visited my Ob today (am due in 5 weeks) and he said that Matilda has not imposed this (he also said he didn't agree with it either). I am however interested to hear if other hospitals have continued to enforce it, and how forceful they are in doing so. I still have 5 weeks to go and if there is a growing trend in hospitals doing this, I am sure it will only be a matter of time before all are doing so.

Momma is offline Registered User
    Queen Elizabeth have said to me that fathers are now allowed into delivery rooms unless the ward is 'very busy'. They say they can change the policy at any time they choose though, but I think they've realised that there's no medical reason to stop fathers attending births. Keep up the pressure!

Lizabeth is offline Registered User
    Hi AussieMum,

I too am delivering at Matilda about the same time as you. I also talked to my OBGYN about the latest on the delivery room admissions now that things have accelerated with the schools continuing the closure permanently due to the swine flu. She told me that Matilda would be the very last hospital to in force this "no one in the delivery room" thing. She said that she really can't see it being a problem even if they "technically" adopt this policy. She said that they are very relaxed on their normal policy of family members in the delivery room anyway. The normal policy is a max of 2 support people and she she said that she often has cases where the entire family, including the older children, grandparents and even the helper, in the delivery room!!! I got a good feeling that there will be no problems even in the 5 weeks to go! Enjoy the last few weeks of your pregnancy!

yuukalim0404 is offline Registered User
    I have an emergency c-section after over 8 hours of labour - alone in a public hospital. Hubby was not allowed because he did not attend the course required beforehand. So swine flu or not, sometimes that happens.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast