Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Delivery room and Swine flu

acjacj is offline Registered User

Delivery room and Swine flu

I just went to Queen Elizabeth for my initial appointment today (May 23rd), and asked at what point husbands could join their wives in the delivery room. I was told that right now, husbands are not permitted because of the Swine Flu. I am not due until October, but was concerned and asked the nurse if she thought they would be permitted by October. The nurse said she had no idea, that they will permit it when they are told they can. How long after SARS was over did they allow men in the labor/delivery room again in public hospitals? Is there no hope this ban will be lifted by October? Thanks for any insight.

Nashua852 is offline Registered User

That's increasingly worrying..Im due in October too with my second baby, and I hope this changes before then. I went private for my first baby and my husband was allowed into the labour and delivery ward however, he was unable to hold our son since those first few minutes of life until we left the hospital 'due to harmful outside bacteria/infection' - this was apparently implemented at that private hospital since SARS. I hope to deliver at POW - I'll make sure to check with them too.. fyi my son was born in dec 2007! I appreciate everything the HK government is doing but I feel this is taking it too far - I cannot imagine giving birth without my husband there.

Proud Mama to Kian Danyaal 08.12.2007 & Adara Michelle 10.10.2009

acjacj is offline Registered User

Will you let me know if things are different at POW after you register there? I really appreciate it.

chrissy2 is offline Registered User

Hi everyone, I just had my doctor appointment check up on Friday, and my doctor said that as of now all hospitals in Hong Kong Private or non Private are not allowing the husbands in the delivery room because of the swine flu. They will be allowed with you before you go into the delivery room but thats it! I have been so upset about this, and have even cried because its my first baby and Im all alone here in Hong Kong already and i really need him there for me and now Im told he wont be allowed unless the government changes the rule. Im due in 4 weeks! Just try not to think about it, but I must say if your not due till October theres better hope for you!

mama-to-be is offline Registered User

Oh dear that's very worrying!!!! I'm due in mid July and as I live in Tung Chung I've been assigned to Princess Margaret Hospital (where unfortunately both Swine Flu patients have been hospitalized in). Then again my friend just gave birth at the Matilda Hospital 2 weeks ago and her husband was allowed in. So do you think that if husbands are very insistent that the doctors/midwives will let them into the delivery room? What about the newborn? Are they allowed to sleep next to their mums?

Momma is offline Registered User

I'm due very soon too (5 weeks). This is really upsetting, but I simply can't understand the reasons behind it - can anyone shed any light?

How is keeping husbands out of the delivery room going to stop the spread of swine flu? The babies will be home a couple of days later anyway. How soon will the husbands/partners be able to see their child if they are kept out of the delivery room? If they can still come in visiting hours, then what is this supposed to acheive?

Can everyone with clinics this week please question their midwives so we can learn more about this ridiculous setup...

mnight is offline Registered User

Hi,

I had a check up today as due in a week and asked the midwife about this (I'll be delivering at QMH). She didn't know anything about it and just kept saying that husbands can only stay for two hours (I think she meant visiting time). I desperately hope that this isn't true.

chrissy2 is offline Registered User

Hi ladies like I said before I saw my doc, on Friday and this is what he has told me.....I live in Tung Chung and I will be delivering at the Private Baptisit Hospital, and he told me that he had to tell me this! He couldnt tell me much and I dont think he agrees with it either, he said that they may lift this rule by the time I go in which is 4 weeks but he really cant say. He also said that teh same rule applies for c-section as well. My husband said he was going to push being with me for the delivery if they dont let him, but i dont think he will get anywhere with that. I was also told that if you go to your private hospital and if you have a fever, cough or runny nose that the hospital now wont take you in and that they will send you to a public hospital (I think he said Princess Margaret cant remember for sure) which I dont mind that hospital its just to be at your hospital already in labour and to be turned away just sucks! My husband and I are really up set about this and we think that the government is going a little too far over board with the Swine Flu. I see my doc again this Friday, so I will ask him for an update and let you ladies know whats going on.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast