Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Episiotomy

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    I also asked for an episitiomy only if medically necessary... knowing that my first baby had a big head, I expected the doctor would do one without asking, but finally I tore a little and had absolutely no pain and no problem with the healing which was very fast. I would do it the same way without hesitation.

LeahH is offline Registered User
    Look into an epi-no delphine plus: Epi-No | A Gentle Start to Life or Starnberg Medical - EPI-NO

Theyre very popular in Europe where there are a large number of home births. I used one for both my births and did not need an episiotomy. It also has a pelvic floor trainer for after the birth which is handy! A friend used it with a bub that had a particularly large head and didn't have an episiotomy either.

You can get them here in HK, details are on the second site.

Matty is offline Registered User
    Don't do it unless medically necessary.
    I've had 2 births, no tearing.
    Babies 4kg and 3.2kg.

You can also google advice on perineal massage. Does the same thing as the epi-no for free.

freddiebiscuit is offline Registered User
    It seemed like a fact of giving birth here that an episiotomy needed to be done. When I told a doctor at one of my checkups at a public hospital that I did not want to have an episiotomy unless it was absolutely necessary, she was taken aback. She seemed to say that the episiotomy was routinely done to prevent severe tears from happening. She even drew a picture for me! In many other countries, episiotomies are avoided if possible. I asked that it be done only if medically necessary and had her add those exact words to my file.

For me, it didn't matter in the end, as I had an elective c-section due to a breech baby.

So, stick with what you want with your birth plan - it's your birth, but, as others have said, be open and flexible as things can change (sometimes very quickly).

babymommy2 is offline Registered User
    That is riduculous that your doctor thinks all first time moms need an episiotomy, completley untrue. I had one due to baby in distress, and I also had a 3rd degree tear as baby bacially flew out of me, really short pushing stage. (tear are graded 1 through4, with 4 being the worst. 1st and 2nd degree tear are the most common types, and heal pretty quickly). I'd say the tear was a bit worse than the episiotomy, but again, it was a 3rd degree tear. Both with the tear and the episiotomy my stitches popped and I ended up with infecitons, so it took longer to heal, about 3 weeks. With the episiotomy sex was very very painful for months, until the scar tissue finally stretched. I think I took advil for pain? The easiest ice pack to use, it to put some water on a maxi pad ( don't soak though) and freeze it. It works well, and not so hard like a regular ice pack, and you need a pad anyway. I also used a herbal solution to cleanse the perineum afterwards that my doula gave me, can't remember the name of it though. ALso if you do perineal massage at the end of your pregnancy you can help tp prevent tears.

Matty is offline Registered User
    It really is old fashioned advice, and the majority of private dr's here don't do it routinely.
    Be insistent if you don't want one, put it in your birth plan that this is your wish.
    It can't be performed without your consent.
    If there is a medical need for one, it can be performed very quickly.
    Why cut yourself and go through healing when you may not tear at all?
    Why have a 3-4 cm cut when you may only have a 1cm tear?

I wasn't even offererd one when I gave birth the first time at QMH, but at PWH the second time, they wanted me to sign a consent form the second I arrived in the delivery room.
    I kept saying no, saying I would give my verbal consent if there was a need, and they kept insisting.
    In the end I threw the form and pen at the midwife, who then finally gave up.
    Of course, my 4 kg baby was born, and I had no tearing.

Janey is offline Registered User
    I had an episiotomy performed on me, I don't think she even asked for my consent. She just told me she was going to do it. By then, the baby was about to crown. I didn't even feel it.

But afterwards, boy oh boy did it hurt! As geomum said, it took about one month to recover. And everytime I peed, it burnt like hell. It was so painful going to the bathroom that I held back on drinking water.

Some tips: frozen peas wrapped in a tea towel helped. I also found the donut shaped cushion worked, as well as using a squeezie bottle when peeing. And most of all, take it slow.

My cut healed nicely.

lylee is offline Registered User
    i had an episiotomy as well... trusted my obgyn & so let him do whatever he feels is necessary. he did an excellent job & even the nurses commented that they could barely see the cut at all. yes, the first pee was painful, but then it got better day by day... i didn't feel any pain after about a week. i stayed pretty active before/throughout my pregnancy, exercising at least 3x a week so maybe that helped with the recovery?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast