Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Episiotomy

chrissy2 is offline Registered User

Episiotomy

I went through my birth plan with my doctor and on it I said that i dont want an Episiotomy. My doctor wasent to happy with that and he said because its my frist birth that I will be too small and that he is almost positive that i will need one, and he said that he always does them. Im not too happy with this, I going to stick to my birth plan and not let this happen unless medically necessary (ie baby is in distress and they need to use vacuum etc) Anyways I want to know how is the recovery after from the cut (pain etc) and is there anything you can do to help it heal faster and help with the pain. I read in a book that having a nice bath everyday after with lavender oil can help, where can you buy lavender oil on Hong Kong? Thanks Ladies :)

yan88 is offline Registered User
    Hi Chrissy2,

I don't know anything about how is the Episiotomy works, i had c-section with my first and i am now about 3 months pregnant with my 2nd! what i wanna to say is that in HK, if you have your own plan about how to give birth you better stick with it because the docs most likely will try to talk you out of it for his own conveniences.

Regarding the levender oil, you can get it from some shops, there is one shop i know that they sale good pure essential oils, you can call ms. Lily at this no. 97248223, she is an oil and homeopathic therapist and believe she can also give you some advise.

Hope above helped.

tstmum is offline Registered User
    I had in my birth plan to have an episotomy only if absolutely necessary. My OB does not do them routinely (I think it's a bit "old fashioned" to insist on them). As the baby was about to crown she told me she'd do one if needed and asked for my consent again. She ended up not doing one and I tore a little so ended up with stitches. They were a bit painful and uncomfortable for a few days, but nothing too bad. I just bathed and kept the area clean with warm water (no soap).

I have friends who have not been given an episiotomy and who have not torn with their first delivery.

mumto2 is offline Registered User
    Just stick to what YOU are happy with Chrissy and keep that open mind that you can change if you feel you need to at the time. I sometimes wonder about doctors who insist upon things before you are even birthing! You certainly don't need an episiotomy even if you require a vaccum assisted birth. I tore with both births, did not feel it at all and was stitched up very nicely and healed very quickly and well. It feels tight in the area after a couple of days and a bit tender but after about a week or two, you feel much better. Remember, you might not tear at all!

You can use condoms filled with water and then frozen and place them on top of a maternity pad in your panties to ease some of the swelling initially. Try to keep the area dry after bathing/showering but you as mentioned perhaps use a mild soap around but not on the area, like Dove. Try to remember when you are sitting to brace your arms and stand straight up instead of dragging your bum to the edge of the seat because that might hurt...some people like use a pillow under them perhaps on one side to alleviate some pressure on the area. Others sometimes use "donut" pillows. I didn't use any of these, I found just by being careful I was ok but you might like to give them a go.
    Last edited by mumto2; 05-25-2009 at 05:47 PM. Reason: add

southside852 is offline Registered User
    I didn't have an episotomy for my first in London last year and as a result I had quite a severe tear. The recovery of the tear was quite uncomfortable - peeing was hard and I always sat on a pillow. The bath didn't do to much either. I also lost a lot of blood. I don't think I want to go through it again and the chances of tearing in the same place is very common.

As I begin to think having #2, I had to bring it up to my new OB here who said, the best way to prevent another tear (if I tore in my 1st pregnancy, I will most likely tear again), is to to do an episotomy. He explained how this will help with delivering and he can do it what might seem last minute by looking to see where the baby's head is coming in.

I think for me, I will chose an episotomy if my doctor deems it necessary in order to avoid another tear.

Dink is offline Registered User
    Chrissy - don't be pressured into agreeing to anything you are not comfortable with, its your body, your birth. On the other hand, do keep an open mind as when its all happening for real it can all seem a little different than you expect. My birth plan didn't even make it out of my hospital bag actually! had an episiotomy and it was painful for several weeks, but who knows how a tear would have been. I put on my birth plan I would prefer to tear than be cut but on the day I just put my faith in the doctors and their judgement. Its pretty much okay now 3 months on. I If I was paying an OBGYN to deliver my baby and we didn't quite see eye to eye then I would be considering getting a new doctor.

geomum is offline Registered User
    Keep an open mind, docs don't do Episiotomy because they enjoy doing it but because it is necessary in most cases either to avoid a tear or to make room for vaccum. Perhaps you doctor feels in your case it will be necessary. I had a big Episiotomy and recovery was very hard for about 1 month, got infected and had to take antibiotics. Here is my advise to you:
    1) Take rest, even if you feel energetic.
    2) Take mild pain relief and antibiotics to avoid infection and aid healing.
    3) Clean the stiches with betadine or any other disinfectant.
    4) Using a donut pillow will ease the pain.
    Good Luck!!!

aprilbaby is offline Registered User
    I would just keep an open mind, birth plans can't be followed to the letter, things change, your OBGYN might have to make decisions fast. I had to be cut twice (30 stitches) to get my little one out and to be honest i didn't feel the cuts and the recovery time was fine, it was much faster than the recovery after my first baby's delivery, an emergency section.

Think as a new/expectant mother you have a plenty of other things to worry about.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast