Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Crib Safety

lylee is offline Registered User

Crib Safety

hi, my very active 8 month old has recently started pulling herself to standing... she does it everywhere, sofa, chairs, table, crib etc. when i put her to bed tonight, she immediately pulled herself up again, holding onto the top of the crib railing. we have cot bumpers, however it only covers lower half of the railings. i'm really worried she'll fall back & hit her head on the top half of the railings (ie. part which is not covered). should i get another set of bumpers for the top portion? however, it may prevent the air flow? or any suggestions what i should do to prevent her from hurting herself. thanks!

mscheerful is offline Registered User
    my son ( now 2) was very active too but no, no worry, i did not use any extra cot bumper at all. Soon she will learn to 'stand' on the cot bumper to pull herself go 'higher' and smile! Fun :)

yuukalim0404 is offline Registered User
    I am actually more worried about her getting too high and trying to climb out of the crib and falling off. I had already put my crib to lowest but it still seem not enough, any ideas??

babymommy2 is offline Registered User
    It owuld be safer to remove the bumper pads, soon she will figure out how to stand on them, and one day when tall enought will get a leg up over the side and fall out. If she falls and hits her head on the side of the crib it is unlikely to be that serious, as compared to falling all the way to the floor. I never used bumper pads at any time and had no injuries from bumping heads into the rails with either of my children.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    as soon as my son learned how to pull himself up which was about 6 months old, we got rid of the cot bumper as he would usually just tear it down anyways. like mscheerful said, they will learn to use the bumper for other things and in the end, it actually just something that got in the way.

Matty is offline Registered User
    Agree with babymommy2.
    Get rid of the cot bumpers. My first son had a couple of head bumps, but it was no big deal.
    My 2nd is also now standing, and so far hasn't had a problem.

A friend of mine's little one managed to use the cot bumper to hoist himself out of the cot, and broke his arm.

The best thing you can do is let her do it often, and try to help her learn to lay back down by herself without falling.

plumtree is offline Registered User
    Agree with all the previous posters. One other thing you can do if you're really worried that she'll climb out and fall is to put a mattress of some padding on the floor, just in case. I agree the best thing you can do is to remove everything so that they can't hoist themselves out of the cot, but putting the mattress on the floor gave me some peace of mind. :-)

lylee is offline Registered User
    thanks! will take out the cot bumpers as soon as she wakes up then. i can certainly see her standing on the bumpers soon...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast