Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Tail bone pain

1510 is offline Registered User

Tail bone pain

I'm pregnant with my second baby, about 20 weeks now. Been experiencing tail bone pain, that comes and goes. I suspect it is kinda triggered when i'm standing too long or carrying my daughter (she's 19 months now). Has anyone experience something like this before?

acjacj is offline Registered User
    Yes! I am 20 weeks as well and had dull tailbone pain for the past month (sorry, this is gross), after I vomitted with morning sickness. It was an annoying pain. Then, last Monday i was sick again, but this time the pain was excrutiating afterward. I can no longer sit down. Last week i could barely walk. I've been to several doctors, and they think I pulled a muscle near my tailbone when I was sick, which in turn got inflammed and is hitting my nerve. Also, i should note tha when I bent over to be sick, I bent straight and did not bend my knees. (I have been taking anti-inflammatories and am much better now). They said that we produce hormones to stretch our ligaments to prepare for labor, and sometimes injuries like this are caused easily because of this hormone. So, please, just be careful when you bend over (bend your knees), and you should be fine. It may just be your ligaments/muscles stretching. I honestly think I just really pulled it hard because of my bending motion, which caused the injury (in combination with the hormone stretching things). I read that tailbone pain does occur a lot in pregnant women, so if you don't feel better soon, you may just want to ask your doctor about it because he will definitely have a better explanation/solution for you.
    Last edited by acjacj; 05-26-2009 at 06:23 PM.

merrymum is offline Registered User
    dear both,

i am at 14 weeks and have had tailbone pains for since week 10. the pain resembles a pinched nerve on the right of my tailbone and can be very excruciating - cannot get up, sit down, walk freely, and even hurts when i sneeze.

i am normally quite active but was confined to bed rest for 3.5 weeks so thought it was due to that. i asked my doctor further and he said it is likely due to the pregnancy and softening of the pelvis area but this pain normally comes much later in the pregnancy. my doctor recommended a chiro for me (which i haven't seen yet) and definitely no ibuprofen/advil which used to help me with any muscle pains.

anyway, i've been going to my chinese masseuse who's been working on the "kinx/knots" and i seriously just realized that i am no longer in excruciating pain. try an experienced masseuse if you have one.

i found that baths helped to relieve the pain too.

good luck!

chrissy2 is offline Registered User
    I have been experiencing the same thing, sometimes when I get up it hits me so bad and I fall over a little.....Im 36 weeks pregnant now, and it has only gotton worse for me, I take hot baths I find it helps, and try to stay off your feet! I find that when I walk around too long and then come home it hits me really bad :(

cesh is offline Registered User
    I did have similar pain from about 9 weeks. I went to see a physio and turns out my left hip had been pushed slightly out of alignment - probably due to sitting for long periods and the effect of relaxin. After a few visits and following a stretching plan at home it cleared up. Doing prenatal pilates (after getting it fixed initially) has helped me avoid getting it again. Let me know if you'd like details for my physio.

acjacj is offline Registered User
    Sure, cesh-I'd love the details for your physio.
    Thanks!

vpoon01 is offline Registered User
    I had the same thing and the pain stayed even after delivering. I go to Physiomotion in Central and it was helpful!