Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

transporting avent isis manual pump

solidstars is offline Registered User

transporting avent isis manual pump

hi, just wondering, i'm going to work part time, so planning to pump 1 - 2 times at work...

how do you transport the sterilised (at home) pump to work? just put it into a bag? I have a cooler for transporting the milk home (fridge available at work)... should i just put it inside the cooler?

advice/suggestions much appreciated!

also, if i put pump twice, can i put the entire pump into the fridge and just take it out 2 hours later to pump again (without sterilising again?)... am thinking of doing this...

audlin is offline Registered User
    Firstly, how old is your baby as after 6 to 9 months it is not necessary to sterlise bottles and pumps as long as they are given a good clean as they have a strong immune system.

Secondly, I have not been in this sitUation, however, I would suggest putting the pump in a bag and using the cooler to transport the pump if it fits.

With regard to re-steralizing, I always carry Milton steralising tablets with me as it steralizes in 15 minutes. Would there be somewhere at your work where you could soak the pump in the sink for 15 minutes while you take a break or something?

Good luck.

my baby's just 2 months old? i'm returning to work next week...

where can i buy milton tablets? but to be honest i'm afraid i wont' have the time to do all this, i may just end up pumping just once between the 5 hours at work...

sniffer is offline Registered User
    Do you have microwave at work? There's a small microwave sterilizer that fits 2 bottles in Mothercare. This is what I used to do. 5 minutes before pumping, I sterilize my bottles/equipment.

Koan is offline Registered User
    how do you transport the sterilised (at home) pump to work?

-Put it in a ziploc bag or an airtight lunchbox.

I have a cooler for transporting the milk home (fridge available at work)... should i just put it inside the cooler?

-Yes, you could, but if you want to keep it clean after your first pumping until your second pumping, you could simply use the ziplock or lunchbox in which you took your pump to work, if you do it that way.

also, if i put pump twice, can i put the entire pump into the fridge and just take it out 2 hours later to pump again (without sterilising again?)

-Yes. I've done this since I returned to work when my son was 9 wks. I put the pump parts in a bag in the fridge. I don't rinse them off/microwave them or boil them, Just straight into the fridge until the next pumping session.

thanks koan, do you actually take apart the pump or just put the entire pump into the fridge without taking apart (standing)?

thanks sniffer we do have a microwave at work but i dont' want to have to buy another part and add another step if i can help it!

I will go buy a bigger ziplock bag for the pump! I'll put it together and then put it into the ziplock bag, then into the cooler to bring to work... then pump, place the pump into the ziplock bag, then maybe pump again, and bring all home in the cooler... is this alright?

Koan is offline Registered User
    I don't use the Avent Manual at work, I use the Medela Freestyle, but I just put the horns, the bottles and the attachments in a lunchbox in the fridge. The electric pump part of course goes back in my bag.

When I use the Avent I put the whole thing (without taking it apart) in a ziploc bag.

I will go buy a bigger ziplock bag for the pump! I'll put it together and then put it into the ziplock bag, then into the cooler to bring to work... then pump, place the pump into the ziplock bag, then maybe pump again, and bring all home in the cooler... is this alright?
    Sounds great! Good luck on your first day back!