Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Medela breast pump

Workingmom1975 is offline Registered User

Medela breast pump

I have several questions for experienced moms -

1) I plan to get a Medela breast pump for breast feeding. However, I don't know whether I should rent a hospital grade one in Hong Kong or buy the Freestyle from the U.S. As I plan to go back to work after 3 months, is Freestyle more "portable" than the rented hospital grade one?

2) If I use the Medela bottles that come with the breast pump, do I still need to get a sterilizer? If yes, which brand works well with Medela bottles? I know the parts don't need to be sterilized everytime based on the website but wonder whether it's the same thing for the bottles/nipples.

Thanks in advance!

blingdiva is offline Registered User
    Dear WorkingMom

I bought my Medela pump called Pump in Style from the US. I got it because I do plan to go back to work and still pump. I'm very happy with it, it does come with a carrier bag for work though it is a bit large. Plus, there is a medela office in Melbourn Plaza if you need other products of Medela. You would still need to sterlize bottles

I got the Tommy Tippee sterilizer and it is very good. I hope this helps!

lylee is offline Registered User
    i also bought the pump in style, but have heard freestyle is better if you plan on taking it to work as it is lighter/more portable.

for awhile i used the medela microwave bags for the sterilization, but then got very expensive & used the avent microwave sterilizer instead which worked very well.

the only thing which i didn't always sterilize was the tubing for the breastpump.

Koan is offline Registered User
    I have the Freestyle. It's a great pump. I've been pumping 1-2x a day at work for over a year now and it's still going great. Unlike the PIS you don't need to replace membranes or anything.

It's light, easy to assemble, easy to clean and very quiet.

We sterilised bottles and bottle nipples for a couple of months only. Then my son started putting everything in his mouth at which time there's little point in sterilising anymore... I wash bottles and nipples in very hot water and that's all.

I sterilised by boiling and never bought a steriliser.

I only sterilised my pump before the first use, as per Medela's information.

Cici is offline Registered User
    Rented the medula pump for 3 months from that place in Melbourne plaza. But bcos it was too heavy to take to work I just brought an aventi hand pump which was pretty good and also very light.
    We used the aventi steriliser

Workingmom1975 is offline Registered User
    Thank you very much for sharing the information!