Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Choosing a hospital?!%@*

mumto2 is offline Registered User

Choosing a hospital?!%@*

I am soooo confused! lol

I had my first 2 babies at public hospital (not here) and am very comfortable - I had very good and easy natural deliveries so have no real fears about that part but still have those normal want to make sure all goes well ones...

My catchment for hospital would be Princess Margaret and to be honest I have heard really bad stories about their maternity ward...a friend of mine had her sons collar bone broken during delivery and they didn't even tell her for 2 days! Kind of shrugged it off like it was normal. Another friend who delivered there had a very hard time having them listen to her and her birth plan. So I'm a bit uneasy.

My preference would be to deliver at QMH if we went public to be honest. How doable do you think it would be to just kind of mosey across and pretend I'd been shopping in central once I go into labour? lol Actually I'm serious...they wouldn't turn me away would they?

The other thing I guess to do is to bite the bullet and just pay the astronomical sums for private hospital...Sanitorium would probably be my pick...its just so expensive and I really object to paying so much for a doctor to deliver when they usually don't and the midwives do! lol And I usually leave the day I deliver so paying a fortune for a room that I (hopefully/probably) won't use seems ridiculous as well.

Actually the third choice is to just go home and not have to worry about any of this but then you are gone for a month without hubby which is always sad...

Any thoughts or advice??

AmyH is offline Registered User
    I was in the same situation as you are and am due in August. I was in the catchment for Tsuen Mun hospital and read lots of things on here about how bad it is so was in a real panic. I also was in a situation where m first was born very prematurely so I was concerned about their ability to cope with this. I did not want to pay for private as would probably end up in a public hospital in the end anyway!

I had enough insurance to go private for my OB appointments and had him write me a referral for Prince of Wales hospital. I went in there and they accepted me no problem so I am more at ease and have had some appointments there also so they are fully aware of my history.

Hope this long winded answer helps and good luck!

Amy

thanks Amy, I also will see a private OB...I wasn't aware you could ask them to refer you...do you think I could get a referral to QMH even though its not my catchment?

mumsy is offline Registered User
    I know someone who has registered at a different public hospital using her relative's address - that might be another option if you have a friend willing to let you use their address.

I actually do have a friend in Pok Fu Lam...so you don't have prove your residential address?

My OB had offered to write me a letter for QMH but because I live in NT I opted for Prince of Wales instead so I think that they would accept you. In prince of wales they did not question the referral letter at all, just asked to keep a copy of it (no begging required on my part!)

The referral letter itself was from Dr Alex Doo and it just said that due to complications in my last pregnancy I would prefer to give birth at a teaching hospital. This was not an issue. It would do no harm to try anyway!

They did ask me for proof of address when I registered at Prince of Wales...

carang is offline Registered User
    for proof of address... just have your mobile phone bill or something sent to your friend's place until after delivery? would that work?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast