Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

changing sleep pattern-14month old

megan2008 is offline Registered User
    sheung shui
    My daughter would also start to stand as soon as I put her back down. I would just let her, walk out and wait five minutes before coming back in.

wanfamily is offline Registered User
    BOth mine have had similar sleep patterns ( I have a 3yr old and a 14 monther). What I've learned is:
    Early rising: To a certain extent, you have to 'suck it up' (There's a whole thread on this somewhere onthe forums). I sympathise with you completely - I haven't had a lie in past 6 since?????!) Mine get up between 5:30 and 6:30 at the moment
    Other stuff: whatever method you choose, consitency is the key. If a baby is doing CC one night but being rocked the next, he gets confused. Every couple of months my 14 month will have a 'relapse" and unless he's ill, I use excatly the same method. 1) Check that he's ok and comfortable (including room temperature, quick feel of his forehead, sniff his bum to make sure he hasn't pooed.)
    2) Lay him down and comfort him for a few minutes
    3) While he's still awake, say 'night night' and walk out. This is tough as he sometime screams and screams.
    Usually the relapses only last a night or two.
    The good news is, as your communication with your baby gets better, it gets easier. If my 3 year old gets up way too early , we just tell her it's still sleep time and she will go back to bed - even if it's to sing to her dolls!
    Good luck!

putput is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

My daughter just went through the same thing and like you, I struggled with letting her cry this time. I guess it's because they're older and have more obvious personalities and you can hear the distress in their cries. Now, I've dropped one of her naps so she's down to one to see if that helps and even though she's worn out during the day as she adjusts, she seems to have got over the screaming as soon as I lay her in her cot and the hours of crying in the middle of the night.

The other thing is seperation anxiety which my daughter had big time last week. It was obvious during the day and even more so at night which is another reason i struggled to let her cry alone. I stayed with her during her crying bouts and sat on the floor next to her with my arm through the bars and my hand on her back which gave her security.

Hope this helps!

shoni is offline Registered User
    Hi Mushi,

Just some thoughts......

1. Is he getting too much sleep during the day? I find that my daughter is very timetabled and will get hungry and semi sleepy at the same time everyday regardless of how tired she is. We are in the process of swapping from two naps to one and regardless of how tired or not she is at the time of her previous naps she starts to rub her eyes and yawn, but she cannot sleep as she is not tired enough. If your son is used to going to sleep at 7, that is his bedtime clock, but he will wake earlier if he has had enough sleep. So, maybe he gets too much during the day.

2. Is he hungry? He may be gowing through a growth spurt? If you dont feed him anymore at night maybe try a dream feed before you go to bed for a couple of nights to see if that helps. I occasionally put dream feeds in now if my LO starts to wake in the night or wake early.

3. Mornings are very light now, try darkening the windows to see if this helps.

snagito is offline Registered User
    Oh I do sympathise. I'm struggling with the early morning wakings too. Can anyone tell me WHY oh WHY is HK so bright in the early mornings? It is brighter than other places, right? We have blackout blinds but simply not effective. I will have to put something else on the windows. I have never seen anything like this early morning light that comes in - 5 am today! Mushi why don't you try a black out - or do you already have one?

mushi is offline Registered User
    happy valley
    hi ladies, thanks so much for all your advice and has got much better now......but yes i had to do has worked out well as there is no crying and anguish for me and he seems to know i am around so has stopped waking up at night.he does occassionally stir but i sh-sh him and he goes back to sleep.....mornings are also better now as the same sh-sh works for atleast 30 mins more!!...........i will be continuing this till another growth spurt!

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    My baby has started to do this too. He used to be so easy to put to bed, no crying just straight to sleep for day sleeps and at 7pm for his night sleep. Now at 15 months he has started to cry a lot and stand in his cot crying out when he doesn't want to go to bed. Usually it is one sleep a day which he protests - either his afternoon nap or his night sleep. So frustrating too as you know that they are not going to sleep when they are standing up in their cot! We did CC too but he is teething too so never know whether they are in pain or are just being wilful given that they are older now. Will persevere with CC (together with teething gel) and hope that it is a phase that passes. It is so stressful though and that is tiring in itself.

Good luck.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    sounds like everyone has great advice and in the end it's personal preference and what works best for you and your baby. personally, i never co-sleep with my son who is now 17 months old. my husband and i never get any sleep and i would not want him associating sleep with me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast