Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

changing sleep pattern-14month old

mushi is offline Registered User

Unhappy changing sleep pattern-14month old

hi, i have a 14 month old baby who had been sleeping quite peacefully from 7pm to 6.30 am continuously till about a month ago....now even though he sleeps at 7.00pm he wakes up at 5.00 am and then does not want to go abck to sleep.....earlier he used to cry a little bit at 5.00 am but would manage to go off to sleep by himself.now that he has "grown up" he just stands up in the cot and cries since he does not know how to lie down again..i have to pick him up and try to rock him back to sleep, but he is wide awake and wants to play....i have also tried just making him lie down in the cot again and he bawls and bawls till he manages to stand up again.....

sleeping technique is also changing, earlier he was being fed his bottle and the would go off to sleep peacefully immediately or with a little 5 min fuss......now he screeches when i try to put him in cot and refuses his milk unless i make him sleep on the bed or in my arms......i do so and then put him down in the cot and he wails and wails till he goes to sleep!!

i really don;t know what has gone wrong....i am very particular about his daytime schedules and that is being followed as before.......is this a phase of a 13-14 month old......how do i handle him when he wakes up and stand up at night?

pls. help!

megan2008 is offline Registered User
    I don't really have any good advice but more support. My baby was always very good at going to bed without a fuss. BUT now for the past couple of days she cries hysterically until she finally falls asleep! Recently she has been sick and her top teeth have been coming in so I have made exceptions with her sleeping (during the night) by taking her out of the crib and sleeping with her. Not sure if that has caused some problems.....probably.

Maybe he just has to get used to sitting back down? Are there any developemental milestones that may be influencing the change? I am sure though that eventuallly things will get better, hang in there.

thanks megan, how old is yr baby?

my baby is 9 months old but is also learning to stand up in the crib. she does know how to sit back down but it is still causing her to stay awake longer. like your baby, she also fell asleep while feeding and i would put her down no problems. now she stays awake when i put her in the crib. but every five minutes i go in and lay her back down and eventually she falls asleep. i just tell myself it's a phase and consistancy is key. one day she will just fall asleep on her own........fingers crossed

megan, does yr baby cry when she is sitting in the cot, cause mine can bring the roof down by his horrific screams.....he pulls at my hands and i feel so wretched to just push him down back in and walk out sp. since i know that is standing up already ....even before i reach the door.......i had done controlled crying earlier but this time it breaks my heart to do it.....

mommies, where r u? i am really disappointed not to get any more advice from u all..... now my baby has gone form bad to worse....besdies waking up at 5.00 am he now also wakes up at midnight and refuses to go to sleep till 3..00 am!! i have tried CC but this standing in the cot and screaming really makes me feel so guilty now as opposed to earlier when i did CC when he was 7 months old. So I am forgetting CC for the moment and trying to co-sleep....anyone done that before with an over-active baby of 14 months? will it work? i plan to do it for 3 nights and check it out..........WAITING FOR YR ADVICES.

carolc is offline Registered User
    Hi mushi,

Like megan2008, I'm sorry I don't have advice, but some support. Both my sisters have had the problem of an early waking baby, waking throughout the night and standing in the cot, that they both did co-sleeping.

To this day they still recommend it- but it is just a personal preference.

I have also read somewhere (not sure here or not) that you may need to help teach you bb to sit/lie down on their own by practicing with him during the day in the cot.

Hope everything works out!

Yes, my baby would scream very loudly. It would frustrate, anger and sadden me but eventually it got better. If you go in every five minutes your baby will eventually figure out that you are coming in regardless if they scream cry or are happy. The important thing is that you stay calm, go in, and lay your baby back down. I would add some ****es and pats and tell her that I love her before closing the door. You will find what works for you. I noticed with my daughter that she would cry louder right before she would fall asleep and sometimes she doesn't cry at all. Hang in there, it will get better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast