Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Outside wall renovation with young baby

madre2 is offline Registered User

Outside wall renovation with young baby

We're looking for a new flat to rent. We've been shown a fab one BUT the outside walls will be renovated at some point in the next 6-18 months, though materials and contractor have not been agreed yet. The landlady has agreed to waive rent for 3 months if we can't bear it and want to rent somewhere else temporarily.

I've received conflicting reports as to what this renovation will involve. Our 1st baby is due in 3 months. I assume we have to say no to the flat but want to check other folks' points of view first! Would this flat be too noisy/dusty? If anyone has lived through a similar renovation, would love to know your thoughts. Thanks!

JasmineTea is offline Registered User
    My advise is don't do it. My daughter was born right when the outside wall renovation started. The noise was unbearable, as they literally drilled into the wall to take the tiles out and do work on pipes etc. The noise was so loud that it could be heard even when they were working 5 to 6 floors away. Also there's other problems such as water seepage and delay in construction thereafter.

It is an attractive deal that the landlord waive rent for 3 months, but our renovation lasted one year....

rani is offline Administrator
    1 year sounds about right. In addition to the noise, there's a lot of dust which is not good for baby.

I wouldn't do it either.

Little Monster is offline Registered User
    definitely a "no" from me.

geomum is offline Registered User
    The fact that the landlady is willing to waive off 3 months rent is enough to say that the flat will be unlivable for the period of time that renovation is going on. Maybe many people before you have turned down the offer after knowing about the renovation hence she came up with this idea of rent waiver. And if the noise is so loud that you would need to rent another apartment somewhere else then what good is the offer anyways. If they say it will take 6 months then they mean close to 1 year :) We have flat renovation going on right above our apartment and for the first 2- 3 weeks when they were drilling I was spending entire day outside with my toddler. Couldn't even hear my own voice the noise was so loud. I would not take the offer if I were you.

madre2 is offline Registered User
    That sounds like a resounding "no" then! I thought as much but wanted to check as I've not lived through it before. Thanks everyone for your thoughts. We'll continue flat hunting...

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I also lived through neighbouring flats renovations throughout my entire pregnancy and for 9 weeks of my baby's newborn life. Then we moved and experienced another month of renovation. I thought I would go mad.