Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Desperately need advice!My 21months old son would not eat anything!

ahlee666 is offline Registered User

Desperately need advice!My 21months old son would not eat anything!

My 21months old son started to be a fussy eater since he turned 1 year old, recently, he would refuse any food I make for him, he wouldnt even want to try one single bite! All he would eat is plain bread, biscuits, cake, or cheese stick. He never eats any fruits vegetable, or meat...I really dont know what to do. His weight and height hasnt changed since he was 15 months old. What should I do? My doctor said its fine as long as he is playful and looks happy...However, I started to notice that he gets sick very easily and takes over 2 weeks to recover, 1 month ago, he got bitten by mosquito and the wound turned really bad and got infected...its been more than a month now but its still red and swollen....dont know if it has something to do with the malnutritions since he is not eating much.......PLEASE HELP ME!!

carang is offline Registered User

a child will not let themselves starve. this is what i told myself over and over again when my son was the same.

i saw DR. OZ on OPRAH and he mentioned that MANY kids are "white" kids... white bread, white rice, white spaghetti.... that was my son to a T. it sounds like your son too.

i can tell you that with perseverance, it will get better.

1) cut out biscuits & cake. you don't want him to fill up on garbage so that he's too full for real food.

2) don't fight him. i know this is hard and you want to keep trying new things. put out something for him to eat. if he doesn't eat it. take it away. do NOT offer anything else. it sounds cruel, but he will learn very fast that he needs to eat.

3) try to make food as bland as possible. THAT is why they are "white kids". children have over 10,000 taste buds. adults only have 3,000. so a lot of kids shy away from strong tastes and only stick to the very bland food.

he likes white rice, then boil some chicken and shred it up. not small chunks, but small shreds. it will be more difficult to see that there is something besides rice. maybe fry some rice with egg whites, white chicken breast and a little pureed cauliflower. that way, he's getting everything he needs AND it's all white. hard to see that there's anything besides rice in it.

4) hide the fruit and veg. if he likes cake... make him carrot cake! if he likes chocolate cake, add cauliflower puree (it sounds gross, but you REALLY cannot taste it!), make banana bread, add apple sauce to other sweet dishes.... then he's still getting his fruit and veg.

5) dipping... does he like to dip food? if he likes chicken nuggets (my kids adore them!) when you cut the chicken into pieces, dip in egg, then carrot or cauliflower puree, then bread them and fry/bake them. you can't even tell that the veg is there. try making your own dipping sauces like ketchup...that way, you can control the sugar, but he still gets to dip!

6) cheesy pasta! my kids LOVE it! we sometimes use the kraft mac & cheese, but add our own things, like pureed broccoli or cauliflower. we also add extra "real" cheese.

as for getting sick more easily.... that's normal too. is he going to playgroups? the playground? the indoor playroom in the clubhouse? if so, he's going to get sick more often.

if the doctor says not to worry... believe him.

cha-cha is offline Registered User

I took my son (who has various eating issues) to a paediatric nutritionist for an assessment. We went to Denise Fair who practices at Central Health/ Island HEalth (Discovery Bay). She can make recommendations on changes to make to the diet, how to increase calorie intake, optimum nutrition etc.

Please bear in mind that each Doctor will have their own judgement as to what is considered "normal" and thriving etc.

carang is offline Registered User

forgot to say that my once picky son, now 4, eats virtually everything on offer.

Neha is offline Banned

Our son is the same and he wouldnot eat anything. when he was 14 months he actually lived for 2 months on milk only. We recently went to Dr. Sonal at IMI and she gave us a iron tonic which has been very helpful. It is not that he eats a whole lot but atleast he eats.

He is always on the move and he is growing in height but weight we are still stuck at 10.5 kgs for 2 and half year. Super active no complains. All doctors told us not to worry as he was not falling ill often and he was super active.

I would suggest consult and Dr as his height should atleast increase even if the weight is not.

Best of luck

sandy0741 is offline Registered User

Neha, my son is now the same age as you and he has almost the same weight, also not eating any solid food,can you please tell me which doctor you went to ? His address and phone number?

audlin is offline Registered User

I completely agree with carang. I also have a 21-month old and she has been a picky eater since around 12 months but they key is not to make an issue around food. Sometimes the only meals she would eat all week consisted of some form of pasta, cheese, peas, sweetcorn with the odd banana or yoghurt thrown in for good measure.

Now, I completely ignore her while she is eating her meals and she sometimes gets down from the table and plays with her toys half way through but then goes back for the odd bite. I reackon she's not going to starve herself.

I also leave things lying around for her to nibble on too like a bowl of raisins, fruit salad or cheerios and as she is going about her business playing she will occassionally have a nibble.

I am ensuring that she doesn't eat anything for at least 2 hours before meals - lunch is at 1pm so no snacks after 11am, and dinner is at 5pm so no snacks after 3pm. That way I know she is at the very least a bit hungry.

The other trick I use is that she is really in to dipping so I have started to make soup a couple of times per week. This way I can get in veg and meat, and as it is pureed she is non the wiser. She loves dipping her bread in and eating it like that and if she doesn't finish the bowl then it is no biggy. When we have soup I also make sure I sit at the table and eat the soup with her so I think that helps too.

It is a stage that they all go through and sometimes don't grow out of until they are almost 3 but as long as you are giving healthy options there shouldn't be any long-term damage.

Good luck and try not to worry.

ahlee666 is offline Registered User

Thankyou very much for all the advices. Feel much better and relieved...I will try to make Carang's rice with chicken and cauliflower! Thank you very much!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast