Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Bringing bmilk out - how?

crystal88 is offline Registered User

Bringing bmilk out - how?

I'm going out with baby and plan to bring breast milk, i have stored in refrigerator. How do i go about it?

Heat it up and put in ice pack bag? i read that it should not be in room temperature for long.

Thanks.....first time going out with baby, i don't want to breastfeed, prefer to give him the bottle.

Dink is offline Registered User

Crystal - I just take it out of the fridge and put into a thermos bag I have to keep it cold (its an Avent one that I bought but you can get all different types). Then when its feeding time I get a cup of hot water from somewhere, a cafe or wherever, and just heat the milk up in there. No one told me to do it that way but it seems to work and baby is fine! Good luck with your first outing :)

carang is offline Registered User

i can understand your nervousness if it is your first time out with baby, but honestly, it is SOOOOOO much easier just to feed when out. there are threads on here regarding good places to feed. you may find it ok to find a good nursing room for the first time. after you are comfortable with it, then you can graduate to more public places.

as for transporting bm...a cup of water as dink suggests works well. that's how my mum did it and that's how her mum did it.
    good luck! and remember, relax and have a good time!

Raquelly is offline Registered User

I'm with Carang! Go for it. It's very weird to start with but after you have done it a few times you won't bat an eyelid. I totally understand how you feel, but once you have the technique sorted (it took me about 8 weeks to really get the hang of it) then you will probably feel more confident.
    We really shouldn't feel we have to shy away from doing something so natural, beautiful and necessary for the baby.
    I'm sorry I can't help you with any suggestions about taking milk out.
    Maybe take your Mum, sister, girlfriends out with you the first time to give you a bit of moral support and confidence.
    Good luck!

aussiegal is offline Registered User

I'm on my third child and I'm still not comfortable breastfeeding in public so I always take ebm out exactly the same way Dink suggested (in a thermos bag from avent). Don't heat the milk before you go or you have to give it to your baby within the hour. Heat it just before you give it or give it cold.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

I wouldn't heat the water up first as it could taint if brought back down to warmer temps; you could let it defrost in a bottle bag if you knew what time you were going to feed your baby - otherwise I would partially thaw it and put it in the bottle bag. Then later you could heat it up.
    I will third the above opinions that it's way easier to just nurse in public. If you're that uncomfortable you could go into a handicapped bathroom, which is what I do sometimes, particularly when I know it's going to be hard to latch my baby on. I also use a scarf or a baby blanket.
    I agree, if someone else is with you, you feel a lot better. And then just avoid eye contact with everyone else;)

baffelly is offline Registered User

It is also a great idea to have your first outing being meeting with other moms. Then you won't be the only one breast feeding in public in the group. And you can learn from each other. Find some other moms here with baby of similar age and go for a coffee to practice!

crystal88 is offline Registered User

thanks ladies,

i'm comfortable bf in public, but this little boy bf non-stop, so it's faster to give a bottle sometimes. We take 30 mins mtr to go to his doctor in central.

i bf for the 1st time last week in mtr, and EVERYONE stares at me what was under the nursing apron ;-) But it's no big deal for me. i'm proud to bf my baby.