Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Doc says give formula

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    At the end of the day, it's all about the health of your baby. But I would want to get a second or even third opinion, since I think a lot of doctors would be quick to suggest formula for whatever reason.
    If you do decide to give formula, I wouldn't feel guilty about it -be happy with your decision as if would be for the health of your baby.
    BUT - I would continue to pump your milk for every formula feed your baby is getting, or try to only offer formula top ups. Basically breast feed at every opportunity that your baby lets you and all other times pump to endure that you keep your supply up and to have a supply that you can maybe give your baby instead of the formula.
    But I would definitely pop into some other clinics to get some other opinions.

lylee is offline Registered User
    just like to share my experience - i also breastfed my baby exclusively for ~7mos. though she was tiny to begin with, at the 7 month check-up, we found out she didn't gain any weight over the month & just 7oz the previous month. so my ped recommended formula... i struggled a lot with the decision & in the end, gave in & switched to formula. but not sure if it's only my baby? but switching to formula did NOT help her weight gain at all. she was more or less at the same weight a 8 mos check-up. the ped did some tests & everything seems fine and she's active, hitting all the milestones so i'm trying not to focus on the weight aspect anymore. so, formula does not always help a baby gain weight! no in my baby's case anyways.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Dear Crystal88

When you want your baby to drink more milk there are two main ways to achieve this:

A - Get the baby to drink more at each feed

Three things which will help your baby drink more milk while breastfeeding are:

1. Check the latch is optimal - so that baby gets as much milk as possible for each suck

It is always a good idea to review how you are latching the baby. You want to latch the baby in the way that he will get the most milk. If you are worried about this get a LLL leader or lactation consultant to watch you breastfeed and suggest tips to improve the positioning and latch.

Remember the angle of the baby's head when he is at the breast - it needs to be bending backwards. The nipple starts opposite the nose and ends up at the top of the baby's mouth - not the middle or the bottom of the mouth. It doesn't matter what position you are feeding in all these points are valid for all positions.

On Dr Jack Newman's web site there are a number of videos showing what a baby nursing looks like, Breastfeeding Articles by Dr. Jack Newman - Breastfeeding Online
    There are some videos under Latching about half way down the page. These show how to achieve the asymmetrical latch, which is the most efficient way to breastfeed.
    (But do not to try to pull the baby's chin down! He does this is the video but I think it is more helpful to take the baby off and re-latch.)

2. When baby's deep sucks slow down at the breast - introduce breast compression

Dr. Jack Newman explains how to do Breast Compression on his web site at http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/15pdf.pdf.

He also has video clips on his web site at Breastfeeding Articles by Dr. Jack Newman - Breastfeeding Online which can be useful, scroll down until you find them. Compression and Compression Two under the heading Breast Compression.

3. When baby slows down with breast compression - swap sides.

Switch nursing is changing to the other side when the baby no longer seems interested. Usually when we start feeding the baby is very interested to suck, as the baby slows down we start the breast compression and when the baby slows down with the breast compression we change and get the baby to have the other side. On the other side after the baby starts to slow down we again use the breast compression and when he slows down again swap back to the first side again. We can continue swapping sides as much as we like and for as long as the baby is willing to continue to suck. It is fine to swap sides 8, 9 or 10 times in one feed.

B - Give more feeds.

Up to three months of age most babies need between 8 and 14 feeds a day. Often the difference between a baby only marginally putting weight on and a baby who puts a lot of weight on is the difference e between 7 feeds and 9 feeds. To get baby to gain weight try to get an extra to feeds in every day.

Consider using a Lactation Aid

When you need to give formua\la or expressed breast milk try to give this without using a bottle. When a lazy sucking baby is introduced to the bottle it makes them even lazier at the breast. You can use the soft cup feeder but I have had a lot of success with using the lactation aid, a device to help supplement babies at the breast, this allows the baby to suck at the breast and stimulate the mother?s milk supply while taking a supplementary feed. Look for this under the heading of At-Breast Supplementer on the web site Breastfeeding Articles by Dr. Jack Newman - Breastfeeding Online.

If you have any questions about this information please contact me on 2548-7636 on at [email protected]

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    I think that you should get a second opinion and if the second doctor thinks you should give a bottle or two a day of formula do it. I don't see what the harm is. At the end of the day you are not talking about giving up breastfeeding so the baby will still get all the good stuff. 3% growth seems really really small.

Remember, it's the baby that counts, not our desire to achieve some goal we set ourselves. If the baby is hungry and needs more milk give it anyway you can. I have had three children and each has been different. There is no way i could have made some hard and fast rule about what i would and wouldn't do. First was breastfed for less than 4 weeks. Second was breastfed for 6 months with a bottle or two a day of formula from 3-4 weeks (he couldn't handle my fast let down so sometimes we just couldnt' feed properly at all), third (and current) baby is exclusively breastfed, no formula at all. Good on you for wanting to continue breastfeeding but don't sweat it if you have to give a bottle of formula now and then. You can always express when you give him the formula to see if eventually your supply builds up and give ebm instead.

mumto2 is offline Registered User
    I'm not sure about here in HK but I know that in Australia those growth charts are based on formula-fed babies and NOT on breastfed babies so they actually cannot apply to breastfed babies. I would probably get a second opinion and I would try to use my maternal instinct a bit too...do you think you are doing enough feeds, baby is urinating ok and frequently, those kind of things. Some babies are just smaller than others and some are big roly poly babies...

Best of luck :)

Koan is offline Registered User
    I don't see how formula would help your LO gain weight, seeing as though breastmilk is higher in calories and in fat than formula.

Really, so long as your LO is gaining and not dropping down the percentiles dramatically, then the rate of gain is not that important.

If your baby is happy, and peeing and pooping often enough, then don't worry if his growth does not fit the growth charts of formula fed babies. They are irrelevant.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Koan View Post
    I don't see how formula would help your LO gain weight, seeing as though breastmilk is higher in calories and in fat than formula.
    .. don't worry if his growth does not fit the growth charts of formula fed babies. They are irrelevant.
    First, if the OP has not got enough milk then of course formula will help.

Secondly, growth does matter. You don't need to worry about where your child ranks on growth charts but you do need to worry about how much your baby is growing as a percentage to where he/she started. 3% is very little.

Koan is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiegal View Post
    First, if the OP has not got enough milk then of course formula will help.
    Where did the OP state her concerns about not having enough milk? Did I miss that?

Quote Originally Posted by aussiegal View Post
    you do need to worry about how much your baby is growing as a percentage to where he/she started.
    My son was a slow gainer. I was expected to take him in every single day to be weighed. When he didn't gain the 30gr a day that the formula charts used in clinics here deem necessary, the drs said to give him formula and even suggested hospitalisation. I stopped taking him to the clinic. He was gaining (albeit slowly), he was happy, he was peeing enough.

Sometimes the stress on numbers and percentages is quite damaging to a mother's confidence. I was simply pointing that out.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast