Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Doc says give formula

putput is offline Registered User
    I have to agree with Koan. 3% may sound small but I had the same situ with my little girl and my mum told me my brother and I were the same. Some babies just don't put on lots of weight but that doesn't necessarily mean something's wrong or that they're going hungry.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Maybe it's just me but if i were told by my doc that he was worried about my baby's weight gain i'd put some stock in what he/she said as he is after all, a doctor. But whatever, as I said earlier, better to get a second opinion than rely on unexpert opinions here. We haven't even seen the baby after all! If there is any chance at all that the baby is hungry then it should be dealt with.

Oh, and Koan, the OP did state that she bought a pump to have more milk thus implying she doesn't have enough as is.
    Last edited by aussiegal; 06-09-2009 at 10:22 PM.

carang is offline Registered User
    my two children were VERY small at birth.

both my son(now 4) and my daughter(now 2) were in the bottom 2%. the doctors at the hospital strongly suggested that i give formula to my son as they didn't think he was getting enough milk. (well, if you know anything about breastfeeding, you will know that you don't produce milk immediately, they get colustrum first!)

i listened to the doctors and followed their advice. my son was always 50-50 formula/breastmilk fed. i don't have a problem with that.

from bottom 2%, it took him until 9 months to get to 50%. he still hovers around there now.

by the time my daughter came around, i was a little more confident in myself as a mother. when they again suggested that i formula feed my daughter, i agreed to 2 feedings for her of formula. i had undergone general anesthesia for a c-section and was too groggy to do anything myself. by the time i was able to keep my eyes open, she'd had the 2 feedings and that was it for formula. i exclusively breastfed her until 6.5 months.

she went from bottom 2% to 50% in 6 weeks! she was at 90% by 9 months.

to this day she and her older brother weigh the same.

what i'm trying to say is that formula doesn't necessarily mean your child will gain weight. if your child seems happy in every other respect, then perhaps your doctor is wrong.

the doctors that i saw were shocked that i was still breastfeeding exclusively at 6 months. most hk women give up long before that. many hk doctors don't know very much about breastfeeding as they don't encounter it very often.

The op said that the weight gain was only 3%, i don't recall her talking about percentile charts. Perhaps she stated it wrong but my concern is that if a 9week old's weight has only increased by 3% something should be done.

carang is offline Registered User
    i misunderstood, then if that is the case.

mumto2 is offline Registered User
    I also read that the OP said at the last check up it was 3% meaning that particular check up, she also says that the baby has been gaining at each check up so maybe I too have misunderstood. Still, giving formula does not mean the baby will gain weight and I still think that if she believes she is giving enough feeds, that there are enough wet diapers and perhaps for peace of mind get another opinion...I can't tell you how many times I've had midwives roll their eyes at doctors who's only response to a [lower] rate of gain is "oh just them formula" without any other consideration...lol...I can't tell you how many times in Asia I've had to question doctors on why they want to do certain things just to be met with "that's what we do here'...these are quite particular things and on more than one occasion they have been wrong.

Mumto2, i agree which is why i recommend getting a second opinion rather than asking us!

mumto2 is offline Registered User
    yeah like i said for, especially a first time mum, second opinions are priceless...also maybe getting in touch with le leche or a lactation consultant who also might be able to assist with any worries.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast