Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Pregnancy and stairs

tomogotchi is offline Registered User

Pregnancy and stairs

Hi, I'm 3 month pregnant, and I need other mums' advice on choosing a right apartment for myself and my baby. I have found a nice apartment to move into, but it's on the 3rd floor (about 50 steps, no lift in the bldg). I managed to go up the steps without difficulty, but am not sure if it would be a huge problem at later pregnancy and also after the baby is born. Another apartment I liked is on the 2nd floor and is a duplex, so there are still 20 steps inside that I have to go up.

Should I forget about these kinds of apartments with staircase? The problem is I tend to like family-friendly low rise buildings, which most often don't have lifts...

Happy Baby is offline Registered User

Hey there,
    I live in a colonial-style walkup (70 steps) and it was do-able while I was pregnant. I saw it as a great way to stay in shape. Once my daughter was born, I was still tackling the stairs, and sometimes it's not convenient but you get use to it, especially if you want the perks associated with these kinds of flats ie bigger space, higher ceilings, quieter neighborhoods, etc.

My daughter is now ten months and I will be dealing with the stroller soon but I will most likely leave the stroller downstairs (locked against the railing).

This is just a small inconvenience that you and your body will get used to. Plus, your bum will thank you! ;)

southside852 is offline Registered User

when we lived in london, we lived in a mews house with 1 flight of stairs. we were there for my entire pregnancy and for the first 5 months after giving birth to our son. it was the worst thing ever! we moved to hong kong in june and i told our estate agent - don't show me anything that has stairs. while pregnant i slipped once and then running up and down to warm bottles, sterilize etc...just wasn't my thing. as a first time mom, it was the last thing i needed to worry about - falling, slipping or holding my baby and slipping with him.

it's annoying and if you have control over it, my vote is to get a flat that is all on one level.

putput is offline Registered User

Totally agree with Southside852. Towards the end of my pregnancy, I developed a really bad problem with varicose veins. I couldn't even bend my knees without feeling intense pain let alone manage a flight of stairs. Plus, with a baby etc... it's just an inconvenience, given the choice, I'm happy to do without.

My friend lives on Pokfield Road. There are low rise buildings there with lifts. Her hubbie also likes low rise, family friendly places. Her flat is very spacious and perfect for a family.

mumto2 is offline Registered User

Yes must agree, those last 4 weeks especially I found really difficult, my pelvis split and it was incredibly painful to climb stairs...add a pram/stroller, baby and groceries and really if you can find something else you like without stairs, its a no-brainer...

carang is offline Registered User

i had excrutiating hip pain and my husband basically had to carry me up and down the 9 steps to our flat.

we are now in a 3 story house with interior staircases. i would love to have another baby, but one of my concerns is my hips and the stairs.

if you can find something that fits your other criteria and doesnt' have stairs go for it.

tomogotchi is offline Registered User

Thank you ladies! It's really great to hear other mums' opnions based on real experiences! I'll consider all the points you raised, and I'm sure I'll be able to choose a suitable place for us to build our nest!