Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Cholesterol level & Pregnancy

HappyNatali is offline Registered User

Red face Cholesterol level & Pregnancy

I took my fasting cholesterol last week (as part of my insurance). Results came back "very high" which scared me 'coz I used to be low.
    Incidentally I found myself pregnant from a home test last Sunday. I guess I'm 6weeks now, still wondering where to find an OB.
    Don't know if the high cholesterol is related to my being pregnant. And if not, I'd be in a dilemma of whether to take meds or not as I heard they are not good for baby!!
    Just wondering if anyone have any idea whether they are related??

mumto2 is offline Registered User
    DB, Hong Kong
    sorry I don't know if they are related but soooo many things can show up out of whack when you get pregnant what with all the humungous levels of hormones! I wouldn't worry too much, you can find a list of obgyn here on the forum under the directory.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    I also can't say if high cholesterol is related to pregnancy, but I actually have high cholesterol in general and had been to see a doctor about it before I got pregnant. He told me that I would probably eventually need to go on medication as my high cholesterol is hereditary and can not be controlled by diet alone. However, he said that as I am still young (early 30s) I should wait until after I have had all the children I want to have before I start the medication because I should not be taking cholesterol medication while I am pregnant. You should probably find an ob/gyn and talk to him/her about this issue.