Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

HK Closes Kindergartens and Primary Schools H1N1

Neha is offline Banned
    We used to be in Baby buddies and our used to love it but honestly speaking we used to see so many kids with running noses in that place.

NewMummy is offline Registered User
    The playgroup we go to has remained open, but they are offering classes on voluntary basis and will allow make up classes when needed. They have been quite flexible with the arrangement.

I think that playgroups are not governed by the law, so they can operate as usual, so it is up to the owners how flexible (or inflexible) they want to be.

I am quite happy that we can still go as I will be crazy if I have to think of things to do at home in this rain to keep my child occupied!

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    As of June 12 (which is a few days ago, already) only 145 people, worldwide have died of the H1N1 strain of the flu. A CNN article from April 28, 2009 (which, again, is not the most recent article) notes that the regular flu had already killed thousands since January 2009.

There are a lot of what-ifs in this world, I think and basically, living in the world means taking risks. But, at this point the H1N1 flu strain is a big non-event. Even if a child is infected with it, it's rarely anything more than a case of the flu--in some cases the child may need to be hospitalized--but that is also the case with the ordinary flu bug. I'd really like to see the statistics, not on the number of people infected, but upon the severity of the infections (number of people in critical condition because of the flu). To report that more people have been infected with the flu is, in itself a non-event. If people start dying of this flu in Hong Kong, then that is a cause for concern. Outside of Mexico (and those who were infected in Mexico, crossed the border and then were admitted to hospital) the mortality rate for H1N1 is really, really low.

For PR reasons and maybe some legitimate health risks, the government closed the kindergartens and may close the high schools. But, I think that hindsight will eventually prove that this situation has been somewhat of a false alarm in light of the facts about how dangerous this flu bug really is.

I watched a lecture by a well-known doctor talking about the principles of transmittable diseases. He said that generally, diseases that kill rapidly without and from which recovery is almost impossible (i.e. ebola) usually don't transmit very far. It's sort of like a forest fire that burns fast and hot but once it has consumed all the fuel around it, dies out. Whereas, diseases that spread very quickly and throughout the population (i.e. the current H1N1 strain of the flu) usually don't pack enough punch to be fatal in most cases.

slamdunk is offline Registered User
    If places like Baby Buddies or Playtown are open, and you disagree in principle, then just don't go. As mentioned earlier they still probably have staff and rent to pay and the temp school closure is a precautionary measure not a blanket quarantine of all young kids.

And there is a demand of course. I know many mums now arranging playdates at each others homes and these are surely not commercially motivated...

geomum is offline Registered User
    I think like many other playgroups they should give the option of makeup classes. It will enable parents to keep their child at home if he/she is unwell. I realise Swine flu as of now isn't a serious threat and I am not confining my daughter to our house 24/7. The doctor thanks2 is talking about hasn't heard about diseases like cholera or TB :))

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Cholera and TB are completely treatable diseases if they are diagnosed and treated--they may spread rampantly but do not kill instantly (within a few days as does ebola). That is the point I was making. Even without modern medicine it takes a long time for TB to kill someone and considering that we live in a modern age we have a lot of medicine and other precautionary devices (masks, hand sanitizer, gloves, soap & water) to help us.

I don't wish to argue here, we have different view points and I respect yours. All I am saying is that a disease does not have to be fatal for it to be dangereous. 54 patients have been infected the virus in a single day in HK, making the total number to be 172 including a 10 month old baby. We know little about the new strains of virsuses how they mutate, transmit etc etc, so nothing wrong in being cautious is what I say :)

Here is a list of buildings with confirmed cases of H1N1. Is where you are living (or nearby) on the list? – Be alert

http://www.chp.gov.hk/files/pdf/List...irmed_case.pdf

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast