Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

HK Closes Kindergartens and Primary Schools H1N1

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    most schools should provide "on-line learning materials" for students so that even if there is no "school" school per say, children are still learning and the curriculum set out for students can and will be "taught". as a teacher myself, i know first hand that much MORE time is spend preparing and putting things on the web for students compared to teaching them at school, so the workload is in fact MORE for the teacher in these days....of course if your school is not following up with online work, then I don't know what to say, but for those of us who do put stuff online, it'd really be nice to get paid to do, rather than just do it "voluntarily" - no matter how much I love my job.

HappyV is offline Registered User
    If a school is not following through with the government guidelines of preparing either e-learning or learning packets to be picked up, then I do think parents have a right to complain.
    Certainly, all the schools I know of have done a huge amount of work in providing worksheets/lesson plans over the net.
    Shri - I know you are an administrator, and perhaps feel that you can't say it here, but you've made a lot of comments regarding a particular ESH school. I think I would speak for a few people here when I say "Tell us which one it os, so that we don;t send out kids there!" :)
    Last edited by HappyV; 06-25-2009 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Rubbish typing

rani is offline Administrator
    HappyV,

Apparently now that we've moved to PYP, they don't use worksheets anymore. Everything is activity based. Well we didn't even get any ideas/list of activities. Spoke to my son's teacher today, and apparently we were supposed to ASK for more work. #$%%%. This is the 3rd time in 5 years the Gov't has closed schools and I'm sure its not the last. It just annoys me that some schools aren't prepared/proactive as others.
    Last edited by rani; 06-26-2009 at 01:14 PM.

canadianinhk is offline Registered User
    Wow I work at a PYP school and we still put packages together for the students and did daily posts with problems, tasks, inquires etc. for the students. Sounds to me like they are using the PYP as an excuse. On the other side of things, as a teacher I was frustrated by how few parents even read the posts let alone had the children look at or complete the work.

shri is offline Administrator
    >> "Tell us which one it os, so that we don;t send out kids there!" :)

An ESF school. Kennedy. I really should take screen shots of some of their webpages and post them on here so that parents can see for themselves why some of are so down on the ESF system.

>> rather than just do it "voluntarily" - no matter how much I love my job.

This seems to be a common excuse that teachers give. Way out of touch with reality of working in 2009. All of us are doing twice as much as what was being done in the same profession 20 years ago.

HappyV - Can you point me to the govt e-learning / standards page? I cant seem to find it. I really do need to use that to see how well the various ESF schools handled this closure.

HappyV is offline Registered User
    I don't think there is one, Shri - but the letter that went out
    http://www.edb.gov.hk/FileManager/EN...090611_eng.pdf
    does mention schools looking at other ways to provide education/learning to students and how to assess that learning.

Quite drnkly, if Kennedy aren;t supplying e-learning or work packets, then they must be the only ESF primary that aren't. (I know that Discovery, Renaissance Bradbury and and Shatin Junior have all provided such tool - I don;t know about Clearwater Bay, Quarry Bay or Glenaely).

PYP kids don't do worksheets? Rubbish. If they are claiming that all learning is 'activity' based, how about think up some 'activities' for kids to do at home?

I also found this on a quick tour of the esf website - you've probably seen it already:
    http://www.esf.edu.hk/index.aspx?nod...parentNode=997
    Last edited by HappyV; 06-26-2009 at 08:36 PM.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast