Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are these feeding problem

carey is offline Registered User

Are these feeding problem

My boy is two weeks old and Since I don't have enough breast milk, I have been alternating feeding him breast milk and formula ( one meal formula, another breast milk).

I am hoping to get help with these situations.

He became a fussy at feeding time after we came home from the hospital. Situations are

1. He drinks slowing ( takes about one hour for feeding 100ml to 120 ml milk, I pumped for him too). He sometimes falls asleep in the middle or towards the end of the feeding, refuse to wake up even if we burp him. He then suddenly wake up later and cry for more food. This is quite frustrating

2. He vomits milk ( sometimes a bit, sometimes quite a bit, about 10 to 20 ml). I usually get quite upset when this happens. I know this could cause by improper feeding.

So, I try changing diaper before feeding, burping him in the middle or/ and at the end of feeding, and not to put him to bed right away after feeding. But vomiting still happens sometimes. I don't know what I have done wrong to cause this.

Thank you in advance.

carang is offline Registered User
    it sounds to me like you are overfeeding him. if he falls asleep, he's done (most likely)

if he is vomitting after meals, it could be due to overfeeding as well.

he may also have something called reflux. take him to the doctor and have him checked out.

geomum is offline Registered User
    Its completely normal for a 2 week old baby to go to sleep while feeding, he may or may not be full you cannot tell. Don't get frustrated about this at all. New borns sleep most of the day for the first 1- 2 months of their life. They drink slowly as they do not have so much strength but get better as times goes by.
    He may be having reflux if he is throwing up milk, many babies have reflux and there is basically nothing you can do about it. Don't lay him flat right after a feed keep him slightly elevated using a pillow, but make sure he is well supported. On his next Paed appointment discuss the reflux issue. As a new parent even little things can be stressful just be patient :)

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    I agree with geomum - it is completely normal for a 2 week old baby to fall asleep while feeding. My baby is 11 weeks old now and he still falls asleep while feeding. If he is throwing up milk, it may be reflux or he may just be eating too much. Though I breastfed my baby exclusively without use of a bottle in the first month of his life, I was told by the nurses at the hospital to just give him 3 oz (90ml) per meal. So if you are giving him 100-120ml, it may be too much. I would just let him eat as much as he wants to eat and just feed him more frequently - newborn babies want to eat all the time, so though frustrating, it's just part of what really young babies do. It will get better when he gets a little older! I remember having to get up a few times at night to feed him in the first few weeks - but by the second month he was already waking up less at night for feeds and now at 11 weeks, he sleeps for 6-8 hours at a time. So there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Hang in there!!

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Dear Carey,

A two week old baby will usually be having between 10 and 14 feeds every 24 hours. And each feed will be around 2.5 oz (about 60 mls). Obviously some babies will have fewer feeds and drink a little more at each feed but drinking 120mls per feed would mean only 7 feeds and most babies so young prefer lots of small feeds to a few larger feeds.

We usually suggest that you feed on one side until the baby comes off (or falls asleep) and then offer the other side. If the baby takes the second side that is fine but if the baby doesn't want the second side that is fine too.

One suggestion is to lift the baby's head so that his cheek is against your bare breast when he's finished and fallen asleep. And then wait for five to ten minutes. If the baby stays asleep you can put him down but if your baby starts to root again then drop him down and feed him again.

I've attached an article I wrote for LLL-Asia's newsletter for breastfeeding mothers called Chocolate Cake and Chinese Banquets - it describes normal newborn feeding patterns.

The first weeks of breastfeeding are a very intense time. You feel like there is nothing else in life but breastfeeding. Life usually becomes easier somewhere between the fourth and sixth week.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    Attached Files Attached Files
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    2 weeks old is still a very super sleepy time for you newborn, so it's normal for him to keep falling asleep. When my son was a newborn and I wanted to feed him both sides I would feed one side and then change him, and then try to feed the other side. The diaper change would wake him up a bit.
    I also think 100-120mls sounds a bit much for that age, so that might explain the vomiting. Is it shooting out of his mouth or just kind of flowing out? If it's just flowing out it might be from overfeeding. My friend overfed her baby when he was little and he also threw up all the time.
    Also, I'm just curious why you say you don't have enough milk. Maybe if you tried to breastfeed him more often, like whenever he seems hungry, your supply would increase. I would be afraid of your supply decreasing more and more if you supplement so much with formula.
    And Sarah is right, it takes at least 4-6 weeks (and sometimes longer) for both you and your baby to get used to breastfeeding. Good luck - you are doing a great thing for your new baby~

carey is offline Registered User
    Thank you all for your response. I am stealing a moment to reply while he is taking a cat nap. I sometimes hardly have enough time to put my breast back to the my bra when I try to put him to sleep. I can no longer multi-task like I used to.

Special thanks to Sarah for the article. It describes exactly my experience and how I have been feeling. (Where Can I get more of these articles/ or book ? I don't have a lot of time to surf the internet now with a new born, But I would like to read more)

Now I know that this is normal for a new born and with all your support, I will stick to BF as much as I can.

Shenzhennifer--- thinking about it now, I believe I have enough Breast milk. My milk came dripping wet my cloths on the 3rd day of delivery. Now, I soak about 6 bra pads every day. Convince that I don't have enough, I am pumping about four to five times a day for him to drink from the bottle. Other feedings are formula.

I get quite a lot of pressure from my mother--who breastfeed three of her daughters but want me to have enough rest during the confinement month. So, she suggests to have the helper to feed the baby formula in the night or pumping so that I get a good night sleep. All of the other babies in my big Chinese family are formula fed. So, I also get discouraging comments from them about breast feeding too.

He is 3 days past two weeks now. Giving him 100-120ml was my solution to him frequent rooting about half an hour after feeding. It has worked for night times. In the day, he tends to want more frequent feeding.

So far, he seems to have no problem with nipple confusion. He takes bottle as well as my breast without even think for a moment. I guess for him, food is food. He does not concern where he gets it from. Hopefully, this would last.

I have a few questions here:

Do baby's know when they are full?

Do you wake your baby to feed is he sleeps over 5 hours straight?

Is it better to have another person to put the baby to sleep in order that baby won't smell my milk and mistaken for feeding time?

Since I soak so many bra pad every day, I feel that if collect and store those milk, there would be quite a bit of it. My friend suggest me to wear no bra while at home and pump as soon as my breasts leak milk. But this way is very messy. I would end up wetting my clothes all the time.

Do you have other suggestions?

Thank you very much.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Dear Carey,

Do baby's know when they are full?

Usually because the baby comes off or goes to sleep.

I would caution you about giving bottles after you have finished a breastfeed because a baby will nearly always drink some from the bottle. This doesn't mean the baby didn't get enough just that babies like to continue sucking and with a bottle when you suck you get milk.

I think it helps to think of a bottle like going to a buffet. When you sit at home and eat dinner one plate full is enough. But when you go to a buffet you eat one plate full and then look around at all the food and so have a second and sometimes a third plate full. At buffets people usually stop eating because they feel full but 15 to 20 minutes later they realise that they are actually over full! This often happens with babies when drinking from the bottle. They then sleep longer because they are overfull. And they do this if the bottle contains formula or expressed breast milk.

Do you wake your baby to feed is he sleeps over 5 hours straight?

If your baby is doing well then there is no need to wake the baby. Signs that the baby is doing well are:
    1. Baby has at least 8 feeds every 24 hours
    2. Baby has at least 6 wet nappies every 24 hours
    3. Baby has at least 2 dirty nappies every 24 hours
    4. Baby seems alert when awake

Is it better to have another person to put the baby to sleep in order that baby won't smell my milk and mistaken for feeding time?

I don't think that getting another person to put the baby to sleep is better but it is definitely an option. When my last baby was little I would feed the baby in bed around 9 o'clock and if she didn't go to sleep I'd pass her to my husband. He would then look after her (mainly they watched TV together) until she wanted another feed usually somewhere between 10 and 11 o'clock. when he'd return her to me. This allowed me to get an extra one to two hours sleep and made all the difference to how I coped during her first six weeks.

If you feel that you have enough milk for your baby then try stopping the pumping and feeding the baby directly. You may find the first couple of days quite trying but after a few days all will be well. The things to watch for while you are doing this is that the baby continues to have the signs of doing well listed above.

If you would feel more comfortable to reduce the formula slowly then Kellymom.com has information about weaning from supplements to the breast and a useful form to fill in which helps you know exactly where you are and what the next stage is.

Weaning from Supplements Instructions
    http://www.kellymom.com/store/handou...upplements.pdf
    Weaning from Supplements Log
    http://www.kellymom.com/store/handou...upplements.pdf

You asked about books on breastfeeding. The one I would recommend is The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. Details are at LLL-HK Womanly Art of Breastfeeding

It is available in Hong Kong from La Leche League, LLL-HK Home Page

and also from geobaby at The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding : Seventh Revised Edition (La Leche League International Book) | 0452285801 | General | Babies And Toddlers | Parenting | Parenting And Families | Bookstore...

If you are interested in reading more articles from our newsletter, Close to the Heart, back issues are available at LLL-HK Publications.

The current issue is available with LLL membership in Asia.
    You can join in Hong Kong at http://www.lllhk.org/Membership%20Matters.pdf

There may be a closer LLL group as we also have some in China, LLLI | La Leche League Groups in China

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    Last edited by LLL_Sarah; 06-13-2009 at 01:11 PM.
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast