Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

intl or local kindergarden ?

Lily.hk is offline Registered User
    Which school are they in now? Is putting them in local schools will disadvantage them later when looking for private reknown schools?

ESF/Montessori/Bilingual school is what I am thinking today! Any of you have heard of a good one?

carang is offline Registered User
    personally, i don't care if my children go to the "best" school in hk... i ONLY care if they go to the "best school for them".

every child is different, every child's personality is different, every child's method of learning is different.

when your child is 45 years old, it won't matter which kindergarten or primary school he/she went to, will it really matter?

i think that parents stress about this wayyyyyyy too much in hong kong, and the problem with that is that the children feel the stress and it is passed on to them from the age of 18 months when they have to start interviewing for kindergarten...(don't get me started on the ridiculousness of that!)

don't get me wrong, yes, schoolling can be difficult in hk, but your baby is only 8 months old, you have lots of time to make the decision!

Lily.hk is offline Registered User
    Hi Carang,

Thanks for your help. I am completely new to HK and want to know how schooling works here. If I was in France I would not even worry and visit forums but..... I am not! Everything is so different!!!!!! There seem to be so many options.

you're right, there are a lot of options.

what you need to do is make a list of priorities. what do you consider to be the most important when it comes to your child's education.

once you have that clearly in mind, then choosing a school becomes a little easier.

golfer is offline Registered User
    Carang, which local kindergarten is your son going to? I am in the clearwater bay area and not sure which local kindergartens are good.

he goes to SAI KUNG LOK YUK KINDERGARTEN. you can apply for the gov't voucher and when you receive it, 1/2 day costs $160 (this year). you pay for books, sundries, stationery on top of the fees.

he loves it as do most of the other kids in his class that i've spoken to. The ones i know are western or mixed as the local kids don't know very much english. but i'm impressed with the cantonese that he's picked up. i'm going to send him full day next year so that he'll pick up even more...

it's a church run school, but not too "church-y" if you know what i mean. the teachers all speak acceptable english and the notices are all sent home in english if you require that.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    I agree with Cara rather than worry about getting into the best Hong Kong school worry about finding the right fit for your child. I was asked where my children went to school:

My eldest started in the local Chinese system and after P4 changed to the Canadian International School. She was much happier in the international school and the 'fit' was very good. She became confident and clever and graduated as an Ontario Scholar.

My elder son attended local kindergarten and then went to the Canadian School. He wasn't happy with the idea of doing the IB as he wanted to study mathematics and physics. So we arranged for him to study as a boarder at the Lancaster Royal Grammar School. Here he was able to take A levels in the subjects he wanted.

My third also attended local kindergarten and then moved to the Canadian School for primary. We realized that IB wouldn't suit him and so in Year 9 changed him to West Island. He is thinking of studying engineering and taking the West Island Advanced Diploma instead of IB for Year 12 & 13.

My fourth also attended local kindergarten (we really liked the school - see the earlier post) and is now in Year 3 at ESF. I don't know if she will prefer to do the IB, A levels, B tech or maybe something different.

I have learnt that the school that fits one child in the family may not suit the next. And that it may be necessary to change schools along the way in order to continue to get the best fit for your child.

All my children speak Cantonese but I must admit that their written Chinese leaves a lot to be desired.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

cybabe is offline Registered User
    carang,

Do u know any local school around kln tong area or shatin/MOS which they may have some mix kids around ? Also with good commend ? Since I live in Tai wai area dont want my little one travel too long for school every day . Thks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast