Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Helpers & Crowded Places

sorchului is offline Registered User
    I have asked my helper to avoid going to crowded places with poor ventilation. If she wants to go, just take precautions like wash hands often and wear mask etc. go to the park instead if weather permits. I have explained to her that we (me and my husband) in fact have higher risks of getting the virus because we go out everyday to work so we just have to be more careful. I think it sounds fair enough.

As long as we tell and explain to our DH nicely, don't sound too harsh like an order, show we care about them, I think they will appreciate that.
    Last edited by sorchului; 06-16-2009 at 12:01 PM.

HK2008 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiegal View Post
    You just have to walk through central on a sunday to realise how perfect a place it is for spreading infection.
    Totally agree, aussiegal. I saw it a couple of times and was horrified by the scene. Like yours, my helper is also pretty smart and is afraid of the bug herself. I had never asked her where to go or not to go, but she has out of her own accord moved to a less crowded place with her best friend...

I personally don't think it's such a big deal in 'asking to avoid crowded places', as long as not 'forbidding to go to crowded places' or 'forcing her not to go etc', which may be seen as trying to restrict one's freedom or freewill...As I've learned, swine flu is causing so much fear not because of its fatality rate, but rather because human beings are not immuned to this bug, and the young ones are particularly at risk...My DD is suffering from a common cold right now and we just came back from the doctor's to get her cleared of the possibility of swine flu. Yes a little paranoid I know, but this is what I do for being a parent---better be safe than sorry. So I'd rather not focus too much on a possibly human right issue. Aren't we all trying to take some measures necessary to prevent from catching this bug? In my household for example, hubby will not touch the kids when coming back from work without first taking a shower and brushing his teeth etc.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Oze Kid, even if your helper doesn't hang out in crowded places she will come into contact with people that do, i.e. other friends. Unless of course she doesn't hang out with friends at all, which is probably not the case since you say she goes clubbing. (another nice spot for her to catch something). Our helper doesn't hang out in crowded places but she goes to church twice a week and that is ample time and opportunity to catch something.

I don't think i'm being paranoid, just realistic and pls note I haven't asked my helper to change her life at all at this point. I have simply stated my concern.

As for continuing to be out and about in Vic, I applaud your for living your life but maybe it also explains why there is such a big problem over there. People have clearly failed to adjust their lives in any way to try and keep the flu under control.

Quote Originally Posted by HK2008 View Post
    So I'd rather not focus too much on a possibly human right issue. Aren't we all trying to take some measures necessary to prevent from catching this bug? In my household for example, hubby will not touch the kids when coming back from work without first taking a shower and brushing his teeth etc.
    I agree with this. It's about everyone doing their bit, acting responsibly to stop the spread of the bug. This means adjusting our lives temporarily. It's not a big deal but it might mean the difference between everyone getting sick to only a small number of people.

HappyV is offline Registered User
    Perhaps the fact that Melbourne is in the middle of winter has more to do with it...............

HK2008 is offline Registered User
    I forgot to mention that one of my hubby's collegues got infected by this swine flu last Friday out of the blue, hence hubby is taking the pre-cautions very seriously.

So once again it's not about who should go where, it's about everyone in the same household(of course helpers included) taking some responsible measures and trying to minimise the possibility of catching the bug...

Quote Originally Posted by HappyV View Post
    Perhaps the fact that Melbourne is in the middle of winter has more to do with it...............
    So why then wouldn't Sydney, Adelaide, Perth, all of NZ etc also have a high number of cases. The spread of such illnesses has a lot to do with how things are handled, how quickly people act etc.

For the record, Australia's flu season hasn't even begun yet.

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    HK2008, your husband works at Macquarie by any chance? Hee hee, cos my husband went thru the same drill, shower etc, when he found out on friday about his colleague confirmed case. He even refrained from ****ing or hugging the kids that night, cos being friday, he was very tired and thought he may be coming down with flu.

Anyway, I provided my helper with disinfectant gel and facemasks when she went out on Sunday. I assumed she was responsible enough not to do anything stupid like share eating utensils etc, so never asked her, nor asked her to stay away from crowded places. But I think it's perfectly ok to ask nicely, it's just voicing your concern, it's not forcing her to do anything.

It's not asking helpers not to go out, but merely to try to avoid crowds. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it, as I am also trying to do the same thing, not to mention what the government is asking so as not to make the virus spread so quickly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast