Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Helpers & Crowded Places

HK2008 is offline Registered User
    Andrea Y, totally agree with everything hahaha...

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I don`t think it`s very nice to ask your DH to avoid crowded places on their time off. You don`t own them and it`s their free time anyway. I think they would have the common sense to take precautions, as it`s their health as well.
    I just wonder where everyone is living. Because when I walk outside at any given time there are scores of people everywhere. Everyday is a Sunday shopping day around here.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Shenzhennifer View Post
    I don`t think it`s very nice to ask your DH to avoid crowded places on their time off. You don`t own them and it`s their free time anyway. I think they would have the common sense to take precautions, as it`s their health as well.
    I just wonder where everyone is living. Because when I walk outside at any given time there are scores of people everywhere. Everyday is a Sunday shopping day around here.
    I don't think anyone has actually asked their helper to avoid crowded places but rather to act responsibly. For what it's worth my husband's company has certainly told them what they can and can't do and I don't see why it should be any different for helpers who after all are our employees. At the end of the day if he goes to work and affects people because he put himself at risk somewhere then it's not right. Companies have formal plans in place for dealing with such crises, maybe there should be one in place for helpers?

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    Melbourne has not handled it very well from what I can see. It has not had the SARS outbreak of a few years ago and people have the attitude that it will not happen to them. It spread so quickly in Melbourne (from the media reports I have read) because of a cruise ship which had an infestation and unleashed its passengers on Melbourne. Who, of course spread to the wings! We also had parents who had been to the US/Mexico and Canada with children that were then sent to school (one would assume with colds, not making the connection).

The recent bushfires are an excellent example of the lack of communication the government has with its community when it comes to things like this. They leave it in the hands of the media - who decide what part of the story will make them money and what will not.

sorchului is offline Registered User
    It's not asking helpers not to go out, but merely to try to avoid crowds. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it, as I am also trying to do the same thing, not to mention what the government is asking so as not to make the virus spread so quickly.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that too. Actually it depends on the helper. Mine is very new in HK and also young so I assume she has not been through this situation before and she was not in Hk during SARS. Therefore I feel I need to tell her about how serious this swine flu can be and what are the precautions.

If the helpers read newspaper and watch TV, I am sure they will get the message, otherwise we just have to tell them.

miao is offline Registered User
    i also don't see anything wrong with suggesting the helpers to avoid big crowds/gatherings. that's what every member of my family (with a 1 year old) has been doing and what the government/doctors are suggesting.

i've also provided my helper with masks/hand wipes/no-rinse gels for her use on sundays. in addition i gave her some money to eat in places like McDonnalds or KFC instead of scooping food from the same plates with her friends. she understood where i came from and appreciated it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123